Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pico Hybrid

Posted by obelisk79 
Pico Hybrid
June 30, 2017 08:03AM
[www.b3innovations.com]

Anyone else looking at these guys?

The low weight and high temp performance have piqued my interest for a new CoreXY build I'm planning.

I think they plan on releasing at the end of July.
Re: Pico Hybrid
June 30, 2017 11:08AM
a 60W heater makes me exited, the custom nozzles not grinning smiley
July 04, 2017 06:00AM
Second that, I have a Mini Hotend from Deltaprintr. Its good, and very small/light. But I am limited to 0.4mm nozzles. Deltaprintr keep talking up the fact that they are going to release new nozzle sizes, and I'm sure its no small undertaking to tool up and produce them, but so far no sign of them. If Pico Hybrid ships with (optionally) a range of nozzles from 0.2-0.6 then I'll buy one, the 60w heater is very interesting, seems odd there isnt one available for the v6 heater blocks we all have now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2017 06:02AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
July 04, 2017 11:23PM
40w already gets hot enough to melt an aluminum heater block (450C+), what is the point of a 60w heater?
July 05, 2017 04:08AM
I dont extrude aluminium winking smiley but when I go about with my bondtec and a 1mm solex nozzle I put out 25 cmm already and when I want to cool these volumes effciently Im reaching the upper end of my heater ability.
February 22, 2018 08:02PM
Does anybody know whether the company is still around? I'm pretty excited to see the hybrid of theirs, but the website is down and they've not posted anything to their facebook page for quite some time. I hope they're just hiding and deep at work!
February 22, 2018 11:55PM
greenman100
40w already gets hot enough to melt an aluminum heater block (450C+), what is the point of a 60w heater?
A 60w heater might nice to get you up around 350-400 quicker. i print PEI sometimes and the 40w heater starts gettin sluggish on my V6 with a copper block. I have some PEEK on the way. That should tell the story
February 23, 2018 09:43AM
Looks like its become vaporware at this point.

Regarding the 60W heater, the appeal/allure to that would be the ability to more easily maintain temp at high extrusion rates as it can be a limiting factor when trying to spring at high speeds. The ability to work with higher temp polymers is of course a bonus, but achievable with a 40W heater.
February 23, 2018 02:08PM
I sell 50w (24v) heaters and to be honest the only real reason they are an improvement is increased heat up times (and they are nicely made and fit well in the heater blocks). The wattage to maintain temperature even with high demand changes is only about 8-9w, its buffered by the heater block's thermal capacity. The flip side is that anything over about 28w or so is probably capable if heating up uncontrolled, of melting the heater block. 50w even more so, 60 w even more again. However most/all firmware has reasonable thermal protection for detached temp sensor, detached heater cartridge - the only thing no firmware can really prevent is a mosfet failing shorted. For that, you need a thermal fuse and its a shame heater cartridges can't be made with them built int with 350 deg C fusing temperature.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
February 27, 2018 12:52PM
Beta tested the Hybrid. FAR too delicate, extremely thin walls behind all thread connections, Twisted threads off of a nozzle, snapped the heat break. OVER engineered without durability.
March 01, 2018 06:07PM
Dirty Steve
Beta tested the Hybrid. FAR too delicate, extremely thin walls behind all thread connections, Twisted threads off of a nozzle, snapped the heat break. OVER engineered without durability.

Thanks for the input Dirty Steve!

Oh well. It did look so lovely on paper.

So I take it then that the company has closed its doors?
I find it sad whenever that happens ... knowing well the passion and excitement which must have been felt for the project by these two lads, while it lasted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login