Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I have to steppers with different rated current but same torque?

Posted by Nadim 
I have to steppers with different rated current but same torque?
May 21, 2017 07:03PM
Both are Nema 17 with the exact same dimensions(42mm*42mm*40mm).

Stepper 1:
Rated Current: 1.2 amps
Rated Torque: 0.4 N-m

Stepper 2:
Rated Current: 1.7 amps
Rated Torque: 0.4 N-m

Does this mean that stepper 1 is as strong as stepper 2 and it's just more efficient? So Stepper 1 is just better and I should use it instead of stepper 2?
Re: I have to steppers with different rated current but same torque?
May 21, 2017 08:45PM
Or maybe one (or both!) of the sellers lied to you about the specs of their motor?
May 22, 2017 01:20AM
The 1.2A one is wound with finer wire than the 1.7A one. It will have higher resistance and inductance than the 1.7A one and will need a higher drive voltage to reach high speeds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 01:21AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 22, 2017 03:53AM
Would this matter if the stepper is used in the extruder knowing that the speed is quite low?

The reason I opened this topic is because when I was trying out the 1.7 amps stepper in the extruder, I got skipped steps at ~85% or lower of it's rated currently. If I set the current higher, it doesn't skip steps anymore but the stepper gets quite warm. I would guess warmer than 50 Celsius just by feel.

The 1.2 amps stepper is doing okay at 90%, but I need to do further testing.
VDX
May 22, 2017 06:16AM
... for your use the 1.2A-stepper would do better, as it's receiving the same torque with lower current/power, so lower heat generating ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login