Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.
April 08, 2018 10:57PM
HI

Where are the STL or better still the step files for the Precision Piezo Orion groove mount, the one supplied is too loose with a BMG so I wanted to redo the collar for a tighter fit, and also in the Titan its loose as well.

Thanks
April 09, 2018 03:30AM
Yes, also too loose in my Titan
April 09, 2018 05:19AM
STLs are here on thingiverse

Which dimension is too small? Neck too narrow, head too narrow or head too thin?

Different mounts seem to grip the groovemount in different places, there also doesn't seem to be a great deal of consistency in the exact dimensions allowed for a groovemount.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
April 09, 2018 05:42AM
Mine has gap between the top of the groovemount and bottom of titan. It rotates and wobbles slightly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 05:43AM by tekkydave.
April 09, 2018 06:06AM
If it helps when I was making the groovemount Piezo20 units I made the groovemount fractionally oversized, figuring it could always be filed down slightly to fit, rather than be too loose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 06:06AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
April 09, 2018 08:18AM
I've got an updated version but no titan to test it with, anybody want to try it out?

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
April 09, 2018 08:24AM
I'll give it a go.
April 09, 2018 08:27AM
Have I got an email address for you? If not can you PM me your email address so I can send it over

Idris

April 09, 2018 08:33AM
PM sent.
April 09, 2018 11:56AM
Idris,
The updated groovemount you PM'ed me is a much better fit on the Titan.
Thanks
Dave
April 09, 2018 02:34PM
Is it firm in the mount now? Could it be made any bigger?

Idris

April 09, 2018 02:43PM
It is very firm now. I dont think it would go any bigger.

Thanks for the new design.
Dave
April 09, 2018 06:11PM
Hello Idris,

Do you have the cad files, as altering an STL is a bit like butchering something blindly, it's never going to be right?

As to where its loose, if you have a V6 which I am sure you will have, measure its groove head, that fits the BMG and Titan perfectly.

Also is there a reason for the indent in the underside of the cap of the groove mount, as this is where mine has separated, it's really to thin at that point, and any hard knocks breaks it, unless I have had a bad printed batch.

Does it also require a 6mm hole? good quality PTFE tube is 4mm OD at most, so would not a 5mm hole be better, giving the stem of the groove mount more strength.
April 10, 2018 01:50AM
The early groove mount effectors had 3 clamping screws placed around the collar.
Is there a chance to drill/cut a thread into the Titan housing to clamp the loose fit Orions?
April 10, 2018 02:50AM
Mine appears as if there is no layer adhesion, It has now come apart 3 times all in the neck area.

Maybe a bad batch of parts I don't know, its just frustrating lol. trying to print a replacement.
April 10, 2018 05:39AM
Hmm, looking at the one supplied with mine it is very thin in the neck. Measuring the CAD files from Thingiverse it is about 1.75mm.

Measuring the V2 one I tested yesterday gives 1.95mm. It feels stronger too.
April 10, 2018 05:45AM
This appears to be a consistency problem, some parts are so strong that I can't break off the groovemount without tools. Other parts, printed with the same settings, from the same gcode, on the same printer obviously aren't strong enough. I do test each piece for strength but it's possible that something is happening as the part gets older.

As for the size of the hole, the top needs to be that large to accommodate the bowden coupler but I have now made an updated model that reduces the bore below that point which should improve matters. Drop me a PM if you want me to send you a replacement part.

Idris

April 10, 2018 05:49AM
After testing the V2 groove-mount on my printer I discovered that having things screwed up too tight causes issues.

Using the supplied groove-mount top and having the 4 screws quite tight it worked fine. I think this was due to the looseness of the top in the Titan.

When I fitted the V2 there is no looseness at the Titan so having the screws up tight caused it to crash into the bed. This was despite it being easily triggered by a light touch by hand.

This morning I loosened off all the screws and only tightened them enough to do their jobs. The long heat-sink clamp screw only needs to be tight enough to stop the heat-sink turning and the 4 screws in the top only need to be tight enough to clamp the 2 parts and pcb together.

Now there is just enough flexibility in the system, without there being any real wobble for it to work perfectly.
I now need to try it with filament loaded to see if this was the root cause of my earlier issues.
April 10, 2018 05:50AM
"Given that one of our primary selling points is the accuracy of the system I'm somewhat nervous about releasing the PCB to be included in printed parts that may not match what we produce."
Idris

A little bit ironic....
April 10, 2018 06:11AM
ValSimDim
"Given that one of our primary selling points is the accuracy of the system I'm somewhat nervous about releasing the PCB to be included in printed parts that may not match what we produce."
Idris

A little bit ironic....

Yup, turns out there's a big difference between making an accurate and consistent product in small numbers (5-10 beta units) and making something that is accurate and consistent across multiple batches and for every user. I'm new to this, I'm doing my best to navigate the complexities of product development and support but it's not easy.

Idris

April 10, 2018 06:30AM
Moriquendi
ValSimDim
Idris

A little bit ironic....

Yup, turns out there's a big difference between making an accurate and consistent product in small numbers (5-10 beta units) and making something that is accurate and consistent across multiple batches and for every user. I'm new to this, I'm doing my best to navigate the complexities of product development and support but it's not easy.

Idris

Well, you have my support.
April 10, 2018 07:01AM
tekkydave
Well, you have my support.

And it's very much appreciated. I/we (there's only two of us and Simon is taking a back seat at the moment) have received a huge amount of support from the whole community. This product has its roots here on the forums only 18 months or so ago. Leadinglights found an interesting idea, people talked about it, played with it, found it useful. I put the circuit on a PCB, the first ones were given away in exchange for a donation to a charity. Simon made a module that would fit a groovemount thereby making it available to people who didn't want to completely re-engineer their printer. None of it would have been possible without the support of the community and our customers.

Idris

April 12, 2018 03:59PM
Moriquendi
ValSimDim
Idris

A little bit ironic....

Idris

My beta mount broke as well, I reverse engineered it and printed it in PETg.. solid as a rock...

'
April 13, 2018 01:54AM
The neck of the groove mount is very tempting to pull on, while you try to remove the part from the bed. With a tight timeline, waiting for a part to cool down before removing it, can be nerve wrecking.
April 16, 2018 09:38AM
You mean you don't employ the airduster (or can of butane) part removal method?

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
April 16, 2018 11:21AM
I've been trying to get PETg to work but I'm having great difficulty, I think it's caused by the bowden. I've gone back to ABS but made some changes to improve the strength.

Idris

April 17, 2018 06:36PM
I'm having a minor problem with the piezo sensor - fairly certain it is a configuration issue.

electronics:
Duet Wifi
pcb version 2.x ( just received maybe a week ago )
single piezo disk

M119 from the controller shows not triggered before I start the Z home.

Without triggering the probe I get a sensor value of 333. Manually tapping the bed against the nozzle I see the blue light nice and bright and the sensor reading shows 1000. I have the trigger threshold set at 600 ( or higher right? ) so this should be ok right? When I home z I end up having to reset the controller as it crashes the head.

; Z-Probe - adjusted for piezo
M574 Z1 S2                                         ; Set endstops controlled by probe
M557 X25:270 Y18:270 S20 ; Define mesh grid
M307 H3 A-1 C-1 D-1              ;
M558 P1 I1 R0.4 H5 F300 A3 S0.03 X0 Y0 Z0
G31 X0 Y0 Z-0.1 P600

Any ideas?
April 18, 2018 01:51AM
Probably a problem with the homez.g file and/or homeall.g file. See [duet3d.dozuki.com] and [duet3d.dozuki.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 18, 2018 01:53AM
Try using G30 to home Z.

Simon Khoury

April 18, 2018 01:24PM
Hi Simon and Idris,

Building a custom cartesian printer, I was about to buy your piezo20, but I see your multi ceram Orion, and I don't know the advantage buying this one instead of that one.
Could you please clarify by comparing both ?

On the cartesian side, the Z travel is more restricted than of a delta, and every Z centimeter counts ! So, your Z probe integration into my design is really critical,
trying to get the exact dimensioning of your module, based on your published STLs.
It is a little a nightmare to find the latest version of your STLs, there is no PDF blueprint, no dimensional description.

Familar with CAD conversion, I managed to skin your STL with a STEP envelope, and i am very surprised to see how bad is your part design!
One example, I splitted your STL into the 4 parts, trying to re-assemble them... the holes patterns of the 3 screw-able parts are not exactly the same, impossible to CAD-align. the holes axis are not perfectly perpendicular to the side, impossible to fully constraint.

To sum it up, I think that you should publish the exact and latest dimensional data, either by providing the STEP/IGES CAD files, or front/side/top schematics.
Eventually, I would be more than happy to contribute by designing quality CAD files, of course.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
- The probe20 assembly based on the parts draft from the STL measures 24mm approx between upper/lower groovemounts. (2mm gap between piezo plate and lower part).
- Assembling the probe20 to a BMG extruder seems not possible, the upper groove entering too much into the BMG extruder body.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2018 05:35PM by AlmostNeverAgain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login