Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.
March 22, 2018 01:37PM
I would recommend using a multi-turn for VR2 if you can. I did it and it makes tweaking so much easier.

I think I used a 20K pot.
March 22, 2018 01:42PM
tekkydave
I would recommend using a multi-turn for VR2 if you can. I did it and it makes tweaking so much easier.

I think I used a 20K pot.

Good idea, I have some of those.
March 23, 2018 01:54AM
Thanks Guys,

the M48 probe repeatability test works very well and I believe results are OK Range: 0.008Recv: Standard Deviation: 0.002554.

I'm now left with only one small, but irritating problem - I cannot find a way to disable the double probing during Z homing. By default it probes ones with fast speed, which is OK and works great with the piezo after I found the optimal speed, and then second time with very low speed for 'accurate' positioning. While this works great for normal end stop micro switches, it is a problem with the piezo, because it triggers differently that the first fast probe. The second, slow probe needs more pressure to trigger a signal (visibly pushing down the bed a little, when the first probe just triggers on touch with no visible bending), and the firmware accepts this second probe (unfortunately in this case). While doing bed leveling all is fine, it probes only ones at each point at the high speed, the problem is only when Z homing.

I searched the web for a solution and found some recommendations like to comment "" #define MULTIPLE_PROBING 2 "" in configuration.h, which didn't work. I also tried to change "" #define Z_PROBE_SPEED_SLOW (Z_PROBE_SPEED_FAST / 2) "" to ""Z_PROBE_SPEED_SLOW (Z_PROBE_SPEED_FAST / 1), or to comment out this roll, with no success.

Please advice how can I remove the double probing when Z homing in Marlin 1.1.8 (the latest).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2018 02:06AM by ValSimDim.
March 23, 2018 03:05AM
I made the following changes in configuration.h

// Speed for the first approach when double-probing (MULTIPLE_PROBING == 2)
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED_FAST 400

// Speed for the "accurate" probe of each point
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED_SLOW 400

And this in configuration_adv.h :

#define X_HOME_BUMP_MM 5
#define Y_HOME_BUMP_MM 5
#define Z_HOME_BUMP_MM 2
#define HOMING_BUMP_DIVISOR { 2, 2, 1 }  // Re-Bump

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2018 03:06AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
March 23, 2018 08:13AM
Thanks a lot Simon!

Changing the bump divisor to 1 did the trick!
March 23, 2018 08:33AM
You're welcome we're tailoring a firmware for cr10 so I've been digging into this quite a bit lately.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
March 23, 2018 02:22PM
is it beneficial to bump???
March 24, 2018 04:20AM
Nitram
is it beneficial to bump???

Good question. Not in this case, I'd say.
But it's easier to configure the bump section with a useless move, then to rewrite the firmware. ( separate branch a.s.o. )
March 24, 2018 04:33AM
In Marlin you can disable bumping...

For probing in configuration.h

/ The number of probes to perform at each point.
//   Set to 2 for a fast/slow probe, using the second probe result.
//   Set to 3 or more for slow probes, averaging the results.
//#define MULTIPLE_PROBING 2 // commenting out this disables bumping on probing

For homing in configuration_adv.h

/ Homing hits each endstop, retracts by these distances, then does a slower bump.

#define X_HOME_BUMP_MM 0 // zero disable bumping
#define Y_HOME_BUMP_MM 0 // zero disable bumping
#define Z_HOME_BUMP_MM 0 // zero disable bumping
#define HOMING_BUMP_DIVISOR { 10, 10, 10 }  // Re-Bump Speed Divisor (Divides the Homing Feedrate)
//#define QUICK_HOME                     // If homing includes X and Y, do a diagonal move initially

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 04:34AM by Nitram.
March 24, 2018 10:14AM
Which version of marlin is being used? Line numbers would be useful

Stef
March 24, 2018 10:27AM
That's 1.1.8 it's not problematic to search for those areas.

Simon Khoury

March 24, 2018 10:36AM
New Product Announcement!

I'm please to be able to announce to you our newest product, the Orion module.

This is the result of months of development and testing by myself and Simon as well as the invaluable feedback from a number of beta testers.

There were a number of goals we wanted to achieve:

• Accuracy, the Orion module has been shown in tests to be up to twice as accurate as the Piezo20 module.
  • Ease of assembly, the Orion module has only three parts and five screws. Brass threaded inserts already in place.
  • Rigidity, the Orion module does not rely on the strength of the piezo disk to hold the clamp in place.
  • Ease of tuning, no fiddling with assembly bolts during tuning, just screw it down tight and leave it alone. Also includes easy tune tech from the PP20 v1.1 circuit
  • Durability, no delicate piezo solder joints in the Orion module. Brass threaded inserts make for much more robust connections.
  • Flexibility, today we are launching four different kits, groovemount and screwmount each with the option of bowden or direct drive feed. Dedicated kits for the CR-10 family and TronXY X5s are on the way. Hotend clamps for E3D Chimera/Cyclops and Microswiss hotend under development.
  • Modularity, Hotend clamps and printer mounting adapters are modular, simply print a different mount/clamp if you change your hotend or printer
  • Integrated bowden fitting, bowden versions come with an integrated bowden collet allowing use of a wider range of hotends without issue.

We're really excited about this new development and we hope you will be too, if you have any comments or feedback we'd love to hear it.

Link to product page here

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
Attachments:
open | download - Orion Module.jpg (355.6 KB)
March 24, 2018 11:53AM
As one of the testers, I can vouch for the features
Ascribed. I am torn between the hot end mount
and the underbed. Having tested both installations
with multiple sizes underbed, the Orion is the way to go for those who can only use the hot end version.
Great product innovation Simon, Idris and team
March 24, 2018 01:14PM
This one is really all Idris' genius, I have had only very small input.

Simon Khoury

March 24, 2018 02:21PM
As a beta Orion tester I can vouch that it works wonderfully... especially the live hinge =)....

edit: Idris the link to the manual is wrong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 03:29PM by Nitram.
March 24, 2018 04:43PM
Fixed, thank you.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
March 24, 2018 07:01PM
Good stuff!! The deign is great...

I really like my original model takes out the guess work.

ampapa,
March 25, 2018 03:30AM
I knew, I'd be pi$$ed when you announced it shortly after my purchase winking smiley

Q: adding noise canceling piezos is no option here, right?
Q: is anyone working on a Titan/Aero mount?
Q: would it work in a config, where the heatsink is above the effector? ( ignore the cycloid extruder and arrow pointing to a ballstud )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2018 03:41AM by o_lampe.
March 25, 2018 04:28AM
Nope, noise cancelling isn't really an option here but it also shouldn't be needed.

The module as it is should fit in a titan extruded but I don't think this PCB is well suited to the Aero, that said, I haven't put much thought into that yet.

It might be workable in the configuration you've shown however there would be significant problems to overcome, primarily ensuring that the PCB doesn't overheat.

I have some ideas floating around that would bring some of the advantages of this development to other setups but the idea here was to make a module that was easy to use in it's particular niche.

Idris

March 26, 2018 02:55PM
Wow, there you guys go again! Great job Idris and Simon, I love the way you've incorporated and rearranged the piezos onto the PCB.

Regrettably I haven't even reached the point in my build of installing my Piezo20, I happen to be currently re-designing the entire effector assembly so your timing with this is perfect! smiling bouncing smiley
March 27, 2018 10:47AM
Got to keep innovating, it's the only way to stay ahead of the cloners spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

.stls for the plastics are up on Thingiverse now.

I'll be uploading a .step file of the PCB soon for those wanting to integrate it into their designs.

Idris

March 27, 2018 07:30PM
Moriquendi
Got to keep innovating, it's the only way to stay ahead of the cloners spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yeah, I feel for you guys. Seriously. And at the prices you and Simon are selling these I can't understand anybody messing around with the clones! confused smiley
March 28, 2018 03:10AM
Simon has produced an assembly video, check it out.

Youtube

Idris

March 28, 2018 03:31AM
Are you guys planning to offer the new PCB separate for a lower price? I feel bad, just received and installed my piezo a few days ago and broke the original disk send from you when installing the E3D V6 fan, pushing the plastic fan duct to the heat sink......
March 28, 2018 04:17AM
Probably, eventually.

With the Piezo20 preload was set during assembly and could be adjusted meaning that the exact dimensions of the printed parts didn't matter so much provided they fitted together. The Orion is different, there's no adjustability which makes assembly much easier but means that sensitivity and accuracy are very dependant on the precise dimensions of the printed parts. Given that one of our primary selling points is the accuracy of the system I'm somewhat nervous about releasing the PCB to be included in printed parts that may not match what we produce. My feeling is that once there's a significant body of modules in the wild and the accuracy is known from independent user,s rather than what I claim, people will be more willing to accept that if they have accuracy issues with their own design it's not solely down to the Orion system

Perhaps I'm wrong about this, I'm open to suggestions.

Idris

Ps, I can always send you a new piezo disk...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2018 04:17AM by Moriquendi.

April 01, 2018 01:59PM
Might have missed the answer whilst browsing the 20 pages of this thread but what is the recommended solution for a prusa i3? Building my own clone at the minute and this solution appeals to me.

Just out of interest, would I be correct in thinking I should use a clipper circuit with piezo transducers? To limit the input voltage. Thinking about doing a little arduino sketch to experiment a little.
April 01, 2018 04:26PM
We haven't yet come up with a definitive solution for an original i3 mk2/3 machine mainly due to not having one to play with, but a mk1/1.5 rework type I3 can easily use the Piezo20 or the new Orion sensor, just insert it into the groovemount and insert the hotend into the sensor.

Simon Khoury

April 01, 2018 05:33PM
DjDemonD
We haven't yet come up with a definitive solution for an original i3 mk2/3 machine mainly due to not having one to play with, but a mk1/1.5 rework type I3 can easily use the Piezo20 or the new Orion sensor, just insert it into the groovemount and insert the hotend into the sensor.

Sorry, how do you mean groove mount? The i3 rework (by emotiontech?} has a direct drive extruder (I think) - basically a single extruder body onto which the motor, inductive sensor, bearing, spring assembly etc all attach. This extruder body then bolts onto the x-carriage. Not sure which bit is the groove mount.

Great project by the way, seriously well done for getting it working as well as it obviously works.
April 02, 2018 03:41AM
Hi guys, what is the best position for the piezo?
I'm not sure. Since I have a moving bed y axis.

I have this printer.

[www.3d-druckerforum.de]

And this holder as dual

[www.thingiverse.com]

Im not so good in redesign I hope you can help me thanks.

I had already tried FSR sensors in stamps but these have lasted since I had them on the 3 stops from the moving bed.
That was not good

I hope this solution is a success

Greetings Hardy
April 02, 2018 03:50AM
JoeK1973
DjDemonD

Sorry, how do you mean groove mount? The i3 rework (by emotiontech?} has a direct drive extruder (I think) - basically a single extruder body onto which the motor, inductive sensor, bearing, spring assembly etc all attach. This extruder body then bolts onto the x-carriage. Not sure which bit is the groove mount.

Great project by the way, seriously well done for getting it working as well as it obviously works.

Thanks for the kind words.

The issue with mounting for any particular printer is there are so many variants. I had an i3 rework with a Greg's Wade extruder which used a groovemount to fit a groovemount hotend.

If you have a link for the precise schematics of the printer you are making we can suggest a way to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 06:42PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login