Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lulzbot Taz 6 - Prusa I3 in disguise?

Posted by n9jcv 
Lulzbot Taz 6 - Prusa I3 in disguise?
April 13, 2017 06:26PM
So, I have been looking at the Lulzbot Taz 6. It seems to me that is is really just an Prusa I3. It has 2 motors that drive Z leadscrews, the same X Carriage belt driven and two z rods as well. The bed moves in the Y direction on 2 rods as well and is belt driven. Seems to be the same to me, but one difference. It has a very rigid frame built around the Z and X. So is it really just a Prusa I3?

Also, this machine commands $2500. I would think you could build a Prusa I3 with a frame just like the Taz for $500 using 2020 extrusion. Do you think doing a build like that would produce results that are markedly better than a standard Prusa I3?

Are people paying $2500 just for the luxury of pulling it out of the box and printing? I can't fathom that the Taz 6 would print soooo much better than a well tuned Prusa I3, or a Corexy. Any opinions or users?

Thanks
Re: Lulzbot Taz 6 - Prusa I3 in disguise?
April 13, 2017 11:28PM
I think it's not people so much as institutions or small businesses that pay those prices for the warranty and support that comes with it. These groups don't want to tinker, build, or fix problems. Think schools, libraries, etc.

I would be surprised if there are many pure hobbyists purchasing their machines, I don't think that is their target demographic.
April 14, 2017 09:01AM
Isn't it an open source design? Might be an interesting build
April 14, 2017 04:42PM
Yes, it is open source, everything is on the web to download and build your own. I was more curious to know if constructing that frame would make a huge improvement over an already good I3, not like an acrylic frame I3, but something better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login