Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how do you mount a E3D hotend?

Posted by shortyski13 
how do you mount a E3D hotend?
April 07, 2017 08:11PM
I'm modeling up a design for a corexy printer. I picked out the 3ED extruder and Hotend (mostly due to lack of knowlege and good reviews on those, plus I like i can print hot temps), and I realized I have no idea how to mount the sucker onto a beam (prob 2040 extrusion). Has anyone have a favorite method, mount plate, etc for mounting this thing to their machine? I know there are a bunch of different 3d printed brackets, but surely some are crap and I have a hard time evaluating that based on the few pictures a lot of them offer.

Thanks
Re: how do you mount a E3D hotend?
April 08, 2017 04:43AM
So if you're talking about a titan, then you make a bracket which sits between the extruder and motor. Without it the bolts are too long. The hotend then attaches to the extruder. If you're talking titan aero then it's an all in one unit which attaches with a similar bracket.

[www.google.co.uk]

Are some things that might help.

I imagine few if any are crap, if you print them well they'll work. Probably the main criticism of the titan system. Is the bracket is a bit naff. It would be nice of there were a way to use the motor bolts maybe a fixing which just attaches to two of the four so the motor doesn't fall apart.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2017 06:18AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
April 08, 2017 07:15AM
You can also mount the titan via the bolts on the motor. I use 4 very long m3 screws straight into the back of the nema 17. Otherwise yeah, the titan doesnt have many mounting options except for a 3D printed bracket..... You could probably use one of the cheap nema 17 metal brackets that are all over the place, they are quite heavy though.
April 08, 2017 09:30AM
Sorry, should have specified. I'm looking at the V6 hotend that i'm unsure of how to mount. Im going to try a bowden setup and keep the extruder stationary.
April 08, 2017 09:36AM
Well they mount with a groovemount, not ideal but that's the way it is at the moment, though a screw mounted v6 might be in the works. Bowden is one way to lower mass but at the expense of precise filament control, although use of extruder pressure advance (Google it) can improve their performance.

What aspect of it specifically are you struggling with. You find a mounting idea you like download and print it, or design one yourself.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login