Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My filament hates me moody smiley

Posted by deep blue water 
My filament hates me moody smiley
April 07, 2017 12:27AM
hello i need help i finally figured out how to get my Prusa i3 3d printer to print its first layers. but i ran into a little snag. while my 3d printer is starting to print the filament comes out smooth enough but just after the first or second layer the filament cuts out and jams i guess. it would either come out in clumps or not at all. I'm so close can any one help me its a Prusa i3 3d printed with a wade extruder body and the filament is created by gizmo dorks 3mm pla. i looked up its temp to be between 190-200c or 210-220c filament and the filament works i believe the filament works best at 200c. but when i try to print it does what i explained above. the nozzel has been cleaned and is size .4.
Re: My filament hates me moody smiley
April 07, 2017 03:54AM
Check your cooling... extruder driver IC, extruder motor, heatsink. If any of these are too hot to hold, then it's not getting enough cooling.

As an experiment, you could try slowing all motion down by maybe a factor of 10. If it gets further than before (albeit taking 10 times longer), you can then speed things up bit by bit.
April 07, 2017 01:10PM
How fast so I have the cooling fan running? I have it running at 13% after three layers. Should I increase the cooling Dan?
April 07, 2017 02:12PM
If your hot end is jamming, its more likely because of heat creep. What hot end are you using, is it a clone?
April 07, 2017 02:18PM
The cooling fan on the heatsink should be running all the time, 100%. The cooling fan pointing at the extruded filament is not important right now... it's purpose is to cool the filament after it has been extruded, and mostly it's for bridging or small objects. Just leave it off.

Some other things... measure your filament diameter... if it's oversize, you will be over-extruding, which can also cause jams. Especially if the third layer is solid. Have you tried printing some other object?

200C might be a bit hot for PLA... I use 205 for the first layer, then 195. But this kind of thing is a bit printer-specific, depending on the physical layout of the hotend and other factors. I spent a long time tweaking and adjusting parameters before I got my printer reliable.

As another experiment, you could try deliberately printing in mid-air... all the filament will come out as spaghetti, but if it gets beyond the third or fourth "layer", you'll know that the problem is somehow caused by interaction with the bed.
April 11, 2017 08:52AM
alright so once i readjusted the cooling fan on the heat sink to 100% and lower the feed rate to 80% it started to work not perfectly but now the filament doesn't get stuck.
April 11, 2017 09:43AM
Sounds like you need to do a re-calibration of your extruder and the distances it actually extrudes.
If it starts to print better at 80% extrusion, it points to calibration issues.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login