Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SD init fail

Posted by dart16 
SD init fail
April 06, 2017 10:36AM
Spent some time looking for a possible solution for the SD card init fail problem. many people seem to have had this problem but I could not find a reported 'solution' that worked for my card with this problem.

I have two 2GB SD cards, these are actual SD cards and not TF cards in an adapter, the first is a Sandisk and the second is a Kingston. It is the Kingston that fails 'init' and it fails every time - sending M21 does not help, it still fails, and this is with slow SD support enabled. The Sandisk works fine - every time. I have tried two separate printers, both RAMPSv1.4 with full graphics controllers fitted, the results are identical on both printers so it is not a printer hardware fault.

I have re-formatted the cards using the official SD card formatter, employing full overwrite, formatting to fat16 without change to the fault.

There is however, a substantial difference between the cards in that when writing to the Sandisk with H2test.exe the average write speed is 5.57Mb/s but the best the Kingston can achieve is 2.08Mb/s

So there we have it (probably)....the Kingston works fine in a PC and in my camera but not in the printers.....too slow......eye rolling smiley
Re: SD init fail
April 08, 2017 02:15PM
This probably won't help but... If using marlin there are options to run spi at half or quarter rate for sd cards. One machine I had would only work from sd at spi half rate. Worth a try?

Ah I see you've tried slow sd, maybe it's the cards I had two that refused to work in a rearm, but work fine generally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2017 02:16PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Re: SD init fail
April 08, 2017 05:54PM
I guess that it is just too slow.. a 2GB SD card is quite antiquated by todays' standards. I'll just chuck it away and use a tf card!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login