Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Power Supply dilemma

Posted by Lord Jambrek 
New Power Supply dilemma
April 03, 2017 04:57AM
Hi People.

As my previous board burned out due to installing the MK3 aluminium heatbed I bought this item Ebay Mosfet thingy and then I noticed that all wiring schemes indicate that it needs to be connected to the 3rd COM and V+ connectors on the PSU. I don't have the 3rd one, I only have 2COM and 2 V+ and therefore can't connect this thing. So I'm looking for a reliable PSU that can drive i3 setup with 2 extruders (E3D V6 original) and be able to connect this thing so that it can handle the MK3 heatbed without burning everything out. My dillema is now if I should buy one of these standard PSUs for a 3d printer or should I buy a PC power supply? I was looking at something like a modular corsair of 500W.
Re: New Power Supply dilemma
April 03, 2017 03:18PM
Are all of your V+ and ground terminals on your power supply used up? There isn't anything special about the third terminals, you can connect the power to any V+ terminal, and the ground to any terminal labeled COM.
April 04, 2017 03:10AM
Yes, there are two V- and two V+ terminals and they go into a jack that goes straight into the GT2560 motherboard. I could connect the thing to one of them but I don't know how the board will take it.
April 04, 2017 03:55AM
My solution is a 2 PSU solution. Use a laptop supply (or xbox supply, which are better made and have fans etc..) for the controller board, and therefore hotend, fans, motors. Then use a second supply for the heated bed, this could be mains powered (via an SSR) or DC (via your mosfet expansion board - which I think are a great idea BTW) in which case you will get a far better experience using 24v, faster heating up times, less current flowing through often wires that are too thin.

If you stick with what you have now then its a case of seeing things more clearly re. the electronics. Your current 12v supply essentially outputs 1x12v dc positive, 1xground. It might have 3 connectors or 1 connector. If it has one connector then you need to connect in parallel, your controller board (if ramps then that means both rails), and the mosfet expansion board. Either try to stuff three wires into the connector or better get some sort of distribution block which can accept one wire input and three wires output.

This is a one-PSU setup.

Now I'm not saying this is the neatest solution but you can see what I mean, the x box PSU outputs 3 connection 3xyellow + and 3xblack - but I have aggregated them and then distributed them to whatever needs power.

Its worth mentioning the green power connectors on these boards (this is a ramps board) are not great, I was getting an intermittent connection before I adjusted the connector, if this was not a micro sized delta, with quite modest power requirements the connectors would have been a fire risk, from overheating due to too much current. Make sure everything is solidly connected, do not use solder to tin wires as it crumbles under the tension from the screws holding it eventually. Crimps however are useful.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2017 05:57AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login