Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to fix broken traces ?

Posted by someoneonly 
How to fix broken traces ?
April 01, 2017 09:29PM
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

I have quite a few boards with broken traces after I desolder the object. Is there any way to fix it ? The solder wont stick on the black portions at all.

Re: How to fix broken traces ?http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/2/24/RRD-RUMBA_SCHEMATICS.png
April 01, 2017 10:18PM
Those tracks are gone!

scrape the carbon away, clean up the board and work out where it used to go

Solder the chip down to the remaining pins, and solder thin wire to the disconnected pins and attach to where it used to go.

Looking at the top picture, and the rumba cct [reprap.org]
Its pin 6 which is missing, and its un used. So no need to replace the track.

I presume you understand that you will need to program a new atmega16u as a usb/serial interface, its not like a ftl232 that just goes.

The second image is a mess... can really see whats going on, needs cleaned up. But obviously a driver chip of some sort.
Most of the missing one on their are important

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2017 10:39PM by Dust.
the second one is an a4988 stepper driver from [www.chitu3d.com] . So the procedure should be to find out where it connects to and plug it in directly right ? Is there anyway so salvage the board so that it can be soldered/surface mounted as of before ?

My arduino mega 5v regulator got burnt even worst :/ .

Regarding the replacement of the 16u2 chip I was planning to get another chip to replace it as the old one seemed to be corrupted. If im not wrong I should be able to flash it with Atmel Flip right after right ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2017 04:29AM by someoneonly.
Re: How to fix broken traces ?http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/2/24/RRD-RUMBA_SCHEMATICS.png
April 02, 2017 06:00AM
I suspect once you have cleared up the voltage regulator remains and wicked off the solder and given it a good scrub with isopropyl alcohol it will be fixable.

I don’t know the "Atmel Flip" but anything you can program as a AVR ISP will work (since these devices only need 5v for programming, any small 5v micro in theory will work if you can get the software, but I have only used other megas and related devices.)

That Chitu F Serious Board is a hard one.. you have to make any repairs flat so you can stick a heat sink back on...
But I would still try cleaning it, soldering a new chip in place,and wiring the pin to their destinations. Just keep in mind the low space...
Might want to consider a kapton tape over the pin wires, so the heat sink cant short them if they should be a bit close.
I tried cleaning it off with isopropyl alcohol prior to posting but it seems like the top layer of the board has just been burnt off. The traces are completely non-existant too o_O
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login