Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smoother movement

Posted by drmaestro 
Smoother movement
March 25, 2017 03:01AM
Hi,

I'd like to ask a question about steppers. As you know, you can feel the steps, if you turn the shaft manually. You aiso feel the steps when the stepper is connected to your carriage and you move the carriage manually. If you can feel it, that means that it introduces some kind of vibration to the carriage and this can influence print quality. Is there a smoother alternative to stepper motors?

Thanks
Re: Smoother movement
March 25, 2017 03:38AM
This made for interesting reading [www.motioncontroltips.com]

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Re: Smoother movement
March 25, 2017 04:03AM
drmaestro
Hi,

I'd like to ask a question about steppers. As you know, you can feel the steps, if you turn the shaft manually. You aiso feel the steps when the stepper is connected to your carriage and you move the carriage manually. If you can feel it, that means that it introduces some kind of vibration to the carriage and this can influence print quality. Is there a smoother alternative to stepper motors?

Thanks

What you are referring to is detent torque. It doesn't introduce a significant vibration because the torque due to current is much greater. To get smoother movement you need two things:

1. High microstepping, at least 64x.

2. Firmware that generates step pulses at accurate times instead of using the Bresenham approximation. Most 32-bit firmwares generate step pulses accurately, and most 8-bit firmwares don't.

The Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet electronics that I co-designed meets both requirements.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login