Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sainsmart 2 in 1 "betterthanramps" error uploading sketches

Posted by roydog 
Sainsmart 2 in 1 "betterthanramps" error uploading sketches
March 25, 2017 12:11AM
Hello

Just beginning my first 3d printer build and I'm having the hardest time uploading a sketch to my brand new sainsmart 2 in 1 board (sku: 20-029-129 [www.sainsmart.com]). I've used arduinos before but I'm not familiar with troubleshooting them. I've tried many different combinations of versions of marlin and IDE with no luck whatsoever. Attached is a screenshot with verbose output of the error... Is it getting stuck overriding the baud rate?

Also, whenever I plug the board in I get a windows code 43 or code 10 and have to uninstall it, re plug it in and add legacy hardware to get it labeled as a com port. I don't have this problem on my old pc which is slow as molasses though and I would hate to have to use it because it barely loads IDE. Another symptom is the constant blinking of the D2 LED... D10 and D11 blink for a few seconds and sometimes D11 stays on. I'll also attach some screenshots of my device properties.
I've noticed that the baud rate as the computer sees it is stuck at 9600. If I try and change it my computer says it has to restart but does so and nothing is changed.
Also of interest is that in the device properties it says that something requires further installation but I don't understand what that would be and google wasn't being much help for my level of experience with electronics.

I do have the jumper installed next to the usb port but nothing else is connected to the board except obviously the usb cable.

Any help is appreciated as sainsmart customer service/technical support isn't being much help. Let me know if any additional information is required.

Thanks!
Re: Sainsmart 2 in 1 "betterthanramps" error uploading sketches
March 25, 2017 11:55AM
The best advice with this board seems to be : get a refund.

[www.amazon.com]

Otherwise, nail it to a board, mount it on the wall. Then it will serve as a reminder to buy decent kit that is well supported, instead of whatever is cheapest.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
March 26, 2017 06:30PM
Firstly enable verbose mode

In the arduino ide
File->Preferences->Show verbose output during:. Tick boxes for compilation and upload.

This may give you more information.

But most likely they have not installed a boot loader, so the only way to upload new firmware is with a avrisp (hardware)
March 26, 2017 11:57PM
The first picture shows verbose enabled for uploading, sketch compiles fine. I have tried all the in-system programmers, usually the mkii since that is the default for the 2560.
March 27, 2017 12:07AM
I would have expected more from verbose...

I see the driver you are using is 2016, try the new 2017 version from ftdi?
[www.ftdichip.com]
April 02, 2017 11:30AM
Newest FTDI drivers didn't fix it, not even with driver signature disabled. A friend suggested using a ferritic core on the cable and that didn't work either.
April 05, 2017 10:48AM
did you put the jumper on the board that allows for flashing the firmware? (it is the two pins just to the left of the USB type B port)
while the documentation is poor, I really quite like my sainsmart 2 in 1

THIS is the best documentation i came across when setting mine up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2017 10:52AM by DaGameFace.
April 06, 2017 10:08PM
Yup, I do have the jumper. Also seen the rigid wiki.

The board has decent specs, sainsmart seems to have QC issue however sad smiley
April 06, 2017 10:30PM
boot on a linux live cd and run it from there, see if its a OS problem. Ubuntu works well for this.
April 06, 2017 11:31PM
I don't have the resources to test it on Linux or Ubuntu and it would be a lot of work on my end to learn about all that and set it up with no guarantee that's the issue; I'd rather buy a azteeg x3 or rumba. Best I can do is take it to work with me tomorrow, where we use windows 7 and see if that does anything... Even if it does I'm still SOL because I NEED it to work on my personal computer.
April 07, 2017 07:25AM
What resources ? no usb sticks or blank cds?

a live cd is just that, a cd you boot, and then your running linux... no change to your OS and if you don't have a cd you can make a bootable usb stick

very little to learn, as long as you can operate a mouse and a keyboard...

You install ardunio ide and it just like the windows version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2017 07:25AM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login