Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X-axis endstop activated when not actually engaged

Posted by joercarter 
X-axis endstop activated when not actually engaged
March 13, 2017 10:57AM
Hi I'm very new to 3d printing and I have just got my reprapguru prusa i3 printing and have really enjoyed it. I am using ramps 1.4/mega 2560 and Repetier with Slic3r. Yesterday the x-axis started to give me an endstop hit message when manually moving the extruder to the right. The problem is is that the actual endstop, on the left, was not engaged nor was the extruder near it. I took the endstop wire off of the endstop and from the connection on the board and the message will still display. I am able to maually move it until it actually hits the endstop and it will stop moving, like normal.

Like I said, I have been printing fairly well and it has been homing just fine on all of the axis' up until this point so I'm kind of at a loss as to what the problem could be. Also only once was I able to get it to go to the park position in the center of the bed. It wouldn't go to the park position after that first time.

Is there anything else I could check?
Re: X-axis endstop activated when not actually engaged
March 13, 2017 11:46AM
3D printers generally use normally-closed endstop switches. Ths means that a disconnected endstop switch looks the same to the firmware as an endstop switch that is triggered. So a bad connection between the endstop switch and your electronics would account for the spurious endstop triggered indication.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: X-axis endstop activated when not actually engaged
March 13, 2017 01:54PM
That makes sense. I'll have to check the continuity of the wires after work.

The thing that makes me suspicious of that theory is that it senses when the endstop is actually engaged. Because even though I can't move it to the right, it will move to the left, towards the endstop, just fine. As soon as it actually hits the endstop, the motor stops like it should. At that point, it's just stuck and can't go either way. Weird..

I mess around more with it this afternoon.

Thanks!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login