Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cloned titan extruder review/opinion...

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Cloned titan extruder review/opinion...
March 18, 2017 05:21AM
Yep that'll do it.

Interestingly I had a set of those same calipers which used to read wrong, might be worth measuring something of a known size. Just to be sure. I only realised when I bought a set of fancy 300mm ones and they measured the same object differently.

I am developing the Piezo hotend z-probe [www.thingiverse.com]
DemonDeltaMicro - Micro Delta Printer [www.thingiverse.com]
Things I've made/remixed.
March 18, 2017 05:52AM
I've found them to be reasonably close, certainly good enough for this sort of work.

On this filament, you can try pushing it down the heatsink and it just gets stuck, cut off a metre, and the next bit goes down just fine. This is borne out by filament diameter measurements. The filament just has inconsistent diameter. You can print fine for half a print, and it will fail. Use the same file and it will fail randomly throughout the print.

It has taken me literally over a year to figure out this problem. Buying the Titan was an attempt to get more success with this filament. *sigh*
March 18, 2017 05:53AM
I've no experience with flexibles but that sounds like a PITA.

March 18, 2017 08:20AM
Just an update (and correction) turns out my steps/mm have had to change quite substantially moving over to this cloned extruder. I am now using 470 steps/mm with a 1.8 deg motor.
There is a bit of background to this, I think I had an early version of the titan which had the incorrectly made hobbed drive gear. My steps/mm were 333 before, which was a lot lower than the e3d recommendation of 420. However it was printing really well.

What I can't work out is that the genuine e3d drive gear has a diameter of 7.75mm the new one has diameter 7.35mm. This does not account for the huge discrepancy in steps/mm it should be just 5% change. The only thing I can't think of contributing to it, aside from the difference in overall diameter, is that the teeth are much sharper on the genuine titan drive gear, perhaps they were cutting into the filament a lot more than I could see. But thinking out loud that would suggest needing a lot more steps/mm on the genuine one as it would have a smaller effective diameter. Puzzled but not really bothered since both work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 09:08AM by DjDemonD.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login