Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Odd results with Cura slicer

Posted by bassgojoe 
Odd results with Cura slicer
March 11, 2017 06:20PM
I'm getting some cruddy slicing from Cura with a simple hollow cylinder shape. The design is a replacement for the top of a broom handle. I've made it with a 1.2 mm thick wall. Since my line width is 0.4mm, I'd expect the slicing to be simple, just three concentric circles per layer. Slic3r does this as expected. But Cura generates a crazy path with a bunch of unnecessary movements to fill the space between the inner and outer walls. It's even worse than it looks in the picture, it's actually filling in some parts of the circle, then moving to the other side, then filling in more, then going back to the other side again, and so on. Settings between slic3r and cura are the same, 0.2mm height, 20% infill, same line width and wall counts, etc.

slic3r.jpg Slic3r
cura.jpg Cura (ignore the skirt)
result.jpg The result: slic3r on the bottom, cura on the top. The crazy cura tool path (which is worst in the lower centimeter of the print for some reason) causes a sloppy result

The STL file is here:
[www.venzon.org]

Any idea what's going on with Cura? I've fiddled with all kinds of settings, to no avail. Even telling Cura to print hollow results in the same weird tool paths, again mostly below the 1cm layer.

Thanks!
Joe
Re: Odd results with Cura slicer
March 12, 2017 01:08AM
Cura decided to print two perimeters plus infill instead of 3 perimeters. What if you change wall thickness to 1.25?
Re: Odd results with Cura slicer
March 12, 2017 12:43PM
At 1.25 mm of wall thickness, Cura gives much better results, 3 perimeters. It's still a little odd because it changes where the layer start position on the circle is at around 1cm, but this shouldn't affect quality. Thanks!

Also, I experimented and found that with 1.2 mm wall thickness, I can set the line width to 0.39mm in cura, and then it also gives 3 perimeters.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login