Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3Dv6 Wiring tidying - PLease share pics!

Posted by bolsoncerrado 
E3Dv6 Wiring tidying - PLease share pics!
March 03, 2017 12:07PM
Hi!

Im in the need to tidy up the wires coming from the fans (hotend and layer), thermistor and heater block, in some other fashion than just leaving them there, floating in the air and "moving" with the X carriage and risking wiring breakup.

I need ideas or even better, printed parts if they ever exist!

How do you tidy your E3D connectors?

Mind some pics of your setups / E3Dv6 Printheads PLEASE? winking smiley

Thanks!
Re: E3Dv6 Wiring tidying - PLease share pics!
March 03, 2017 04:07PM
I have mine in one bundle coming from the hot end up to the top of my frame. Been years without issues.
March 03, 2017 04:44PM
Here my kossel XL effector and wiring. Its not the neatest but I test a lot of stuff on this machine so it all has to come apart and go back together fairly easily.
That's a heater cartridge, thermistor, part fans, hot end fan, piezo sensor, there a v6 in there somewhere smiling smiley.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions

March 03, 2017 06:50PM
I had this for awhile...

Those Molex 0.062 connector are great.
March 04, 2017 02:06AM
Any pics @Floyd?

Nice setup @ElmoC!

@DjDemonC how the heck do u quick disassemble that?? I can only see one molex??

Any1 else?
March 04, 2017 02:12AM
Well the fan shroud comes off with one bolt, then I slide out the heater cartridge and thermistor. Then the hot end is free. It's not a quick hotend swap system. The wire bundle is secured around one of the mag balls so I can slip it off.

In terms of preventing wires getting broken I'd kapton the heater and thermistor wires, and cable tie the bundle to some part of the carriage/effector and cover it in cable protector.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2017 02:18AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
March 04, 2017 05:24AM
Not exactly a quick release, but the entire gantry can easily be detached from the belt without having to remove tension. I'm working on an integrated solution at the moment similar to the Toranado.

March 04, 2017 05:25AM
Off topic slightly but how is the fan/blower assembly working out?

Simon Khoury

March 04, 2017 01:29PM
bolsoncerrado
Any pics @Floyd?
Sure
Attachments:
open | download - picture.jpg (264.8 KB)
March 04, 2017 03:14PM
DjDemonD
Off topic slightly but how is the fan/blower assembly working out?

Not to my liking unfortunately, but I'm very fussy so I think most people would be pretty happy with them. The best fan configuration I ever had was 2x 50mm blowers with custom shrouds. The advantage of these was power (great for bridging) and they had a small exit, unlike these 40mm blowers which are wide. Obviously 50mm fans look ridiculous and take up alot of space and can't be used on other set ups (corexy, delta). I could just sling the fans front and back in the Y axis but I'm making a corexy and these will also be used for that.

In this configuration the fans are very close to the nozzle and so it's difficult to design a shroud that adequately directs the flow of air. The answer would be to angle the fans more, but then it ruins the form factor. The new e3d socks are also a pain as they remove all the clearance around the nozzle making decent shrouds harder to design.

I think the answer lies in designing a real extruder where the fans and other accesories are an integrated part of the design. This will be the next project I think... Perhaps I will use the gears of the titan but design a new case. I would like to use a nema 14 with similar power to the nema 17 pancake Stepper, but lighter too.

Until then I just print stuff in better materials than PLA! I'm astounded at how well nGen can print with zero cooling, even on small parts.

EDIT: you can see the efforts of my shroud designing in the second picture! They are absolutey tiny and have less then 1mm clearance from the bed...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2017 03:16PM by Origamib.
March 04, 2017 09:09PM
Here is my current setup for my Kossel. I usually use the bowden tube as a support for the cable.
All cable have connectors so I could swap the entire Hotend Fan assembly and for easy maintenance. There is also a Z-Probe wire and an extruder wire ready for future upgrades.

March 08, 2017 07:33AM
This is my mess at the moment.

Of course I have added the piezo sensor wires, an air tube for the print cooling, another 2 leads for LED lighting (not used) and the drive cable for the Nimble.
That allows me to put everything in a braided sleeve. The drive cable gives it a nice arch to follow down to the stepper.

Lykle

Co-creator of the Zesty Nimble, worlds lightest Direct Drive extruder.
[zesty.tech]
March 08, 2017 03:09PM
Not a V6, but is E3D.. My Chimera:

Back

Side

Front: Oh the symmetry smiling smiley

March 08, 2017 04:57PM
Yeah more like a V2 (engine)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login