Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

blow or suck... :-p

Posted by Nikki81 
blow or suck... :-p
February 28, 2017 03:13PM
I have always been taught that a cooling fan should suck away the hot air but I have been thinking would it make any difference to have it blowing on the ramps board.

Thanks Nikki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2017 02:25AM by Nikki81.
Re: blow or suck... :-p
February 28, 2017 03:29PM
It is hard to direct suction. I would blow the air whenever possible.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
February 28, 2017 03:34PM
I believe @Nikki81 is right, for axial fans.Trying to make them blow through a duct just results in air "spilling" around the fan inlet. They don't blow well without an outlet duct either.

I have done a little experimenting, and found that having the axial cooling fan on my "E3D" heatsink sucking seems to work at least as well as blowing (maybe better, certainly not worse).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2017 05:09PM by frankvdh.
February 28, 2017 04:05PM
Blow
Put a filter on suck side keep the dust out???

confused smiley
February 28, 2017 04:17PM
I have a 80mm fan blowing my RAMPS board and my E3D V5 has a blowing fan on the heatsink also.
February 28, 2017 05:21PM
One thing to bear in mind when cooling high temperature parts is that if the fan is sucking it's pulling hot air over the bearings, where as if blowing the bearings will have cold air flowing over them. Not an issue for the main board, but might be significant for the the heat break.
February 28, 2017 05:39PM
Maybe both, put your electronics in a fairly well sealed case and put two fans, one push, one pull at either end. This is how my electronics compartment on my large kossel works and its got an SSR, a 24v PSU, a Duetwifi board, a 2x 24v-12v buck converters in it, and sits under a (insulated) 240v 700w bed with 2x 50mm 12v fans setup as described above to cool it. Temperature on the duetwifi cpu 44 deg C with the bed at 120 deg C. Plus its nice to put your hand over the exhaust fan and be reassured the unwanted heat is being extracted.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login