Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Migbot I3 setup issues

Posted by mariusraaths 
Migbot I3 setup issues
February 15, 2017 03:03AM
I bought a used Migbot I3 without any software and I'm struggling to get it going as I'm not knowledgeable with 3d printers. It looks like the printer is functional when plugged in because the axes moves and the temp setting can be changed and the bed and the nozzle heats up. When I connect it to my laptop the beep tells me that my laptop sees the printer. I've downloaded Cura but never mind what I do Cura says printer is not connected. It might be that Cura does not support this printer, What other software can you guys recommend? Is it maybe a Win10 issue? Do I maybe have to change the USB port setting somehow? I've read about firmware on google. Do I need to maybe upgrade my printer's software? How do I do that? Also please explain the whole setup procedure and sequence to me in layman terms.
Re: Migbot I3 setup issues
February 22, 2017 09:01AM
OK...start off by downloading prontaface (which controls the printer) which comes in a package with slic3r (which converts your object file into gcode that prontaface then sends to the printer to print your object) at [kliment.kapsi.fi]. Select the right version for Windows

Next open Win10 device manager and expand the ports tab, then plug your printer into a USB port and make a note of the com port your computer assigns to the printer. Open pronterface and select that com port from the drop down box. The speed will most likely be either 250000 or 115000 baud...try them both by pressing the connect button. You will see text in the right hand window when the computer connects to the printer - if you see gibberish try the other speed. Once connected you will be able to control the printer..

To prepare your object file for printing open slic3r, select your .stl file, make configuration changes to the printer, the filament and/or the print within slic3r (too many options to explain in one post so have a play and ask further questions if needed.) and when happy press export gcode. This will generate the gcode that you load into pronterface which will send the code to your printer.

To get a .stl file you can either download one someone else has made or you can make your own using a CAD package like (for example) 123D Design
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login