Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

marlin for MKS Sbase?

Posted by jinx 
marlin for MKS Sbase?
February 06, 2017 05:02AM
Will there ever be a marlin 32bit that will run on Mks Sbase 1.3. its seems a good board close to what a ramps offer, and at £37 its right up there in the budget range.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2017 05:37AM by jinx.
Re: MKS Sbase
February 06, 2017 05:41AM
Does it run smoothie natively? Any reason why you would choose marlin over smoothieware?

Just curious tbh.

I'm not really a fan of the 8825 drivers, even with the decay rate modded I still got pretty bad artifacts. Do you have one of these boards now? How do you rate it?
Re: MKS Sbase
February 06, 2017 06:15AM
Just seeing what options gonna be out there. makerbase git hub direct users too the smoothieware!. thought it a bit of bargain to get an insight to smoothieware for under £40, while waiting for the SB v2 but after reading the first twenty pages this i dont wanna get involved with that wrangling, I rather avoid using smoothieware. if am gonna spend £££ on a new board expect that latest cortex M4. as on the duet.. it burn me more to spend that kind of money on a M3 processor only to see a M4 even an M7 cortex arrive few months later.

from what I've read the re-arm uses the same chip as the mks and its that which makes me wonder if we see a 32 bit marlin soon theres something around the marlin due but what little I know there different chips
Re: marlin for MKS Sbase?
February 06, 2017 09:47AM
Is opensource still relevant to reprap and reprappers like it used to be, theirs folk here that will openly share projects and builds and do so without flinching about terms and licences, where others can build along with and build upon far beyond what the creator imagined. once an idea takes hold.
But today's reprap full of well engineered products and choices, though its seems rather harder to build along with some projects without having deluxe fabbshop in your kitchen... take the electronics the early days of reprap you built it yourself, and just about anyone could make a board in there kitchen and solder it up in the evening using through holes "easy to get" components. hell they even shared the board tracing. today with the 32bit tronics and the use of SMD components and 4 layer boards, opensource or not the reprapper cant reproduce a single board without significant funds, having reflows oven and what goes with it, so then removes the maker from the rap!!.
so at which point does OSHW actually matter/doesn't to the individual and we become reprap customers! if opensource is to mean anything to reprap then surely the only board the can claim opensource and reprap in the same sentence surely has to be the Gen 7.

now dont get me wrong, I like the advancement being made in RepRap. but I aint in the mood to beholden to anyone group just because they claim to represent the interst of Reprap OSHW.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2017 10:04AM by jinx.
February 06, 2017 10:12AM
Open source hardware has other advantages apart from being to replicate it yourself. In particular, having the schematic (EDIT: and the PCB layout, even if not the full PCB design) open source is a boon to firmware developers and hardware hackers.

You can't fabricate your own microcontroller, so why should it be important to fabricate your own PCB? You can take an existing open source PCB design e.g. Duet WiFi or Smoothieboard, order a few PCBs from a Chinese prototype PCB manufacturer, use one or two yourself and sell or give the rest to others. Soldering SMD components is not difficult with solder paste and a hot plate - that's how I assemble prototypes. It's even easier if you get a cheap Mylar solder stencil made (I get mine from smtstencil.co.uk).

It would certainly be possible to design a controller that uses a 2-layer board with a 32-bit processor. I started on such a design in 2015 (you can see how far I got at [github.com]). I used the same processor layout with a 2-layer PCB in PanelDue, so I know that these processors can be made to work on 2-layer PCBs. You could even use through-hole components except for the microcontroller if you wanted to, if you don't mind needing a larger PCB to accommodate them.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2017 03:13PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
VDX
February 06, 2017 10:19AM
... there were several related discussions and actually restarting again about the RADDS-board eye rolling smiley

The problem with "high quality" boards is the needed development time and financial effort to get it running - this is a big problem for hobbyists, so mainly started from "proffessional" folks with the hope to get a bit of the money back or start a shop.

This ideas seems not practical in the modern world, where a "proffessional manufactured" clone is much cheaper than the single parts, a hobbyist can buy locally eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2017 10:19AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 06, 2017 02:54PM
dc42
order a few PCBs from a Chinese prototype PCB manufacturer, use one or two yourself and sell or give the rest to others. Soldering SMD components is not difficult with solder paste and a hot plate
I dont know why I overlooked that DIY for PCBs, though soldering smd yea its possible but I fear it drive people away with frustration with complexity frustration even with a toaster oven at hand.. and thankyou
I finally understand why arther so pissed at MKS they''re withholding key files which would allow others to choose which fab house produced they're boards. I understand that now eye rolling smiley

VDX
This ideas seems not practical in the modern world, where a "proffessional manufactured" clone is much cheaper than the single parts, a hobbyist can buy locally
and that sir is why I find MKS luring offer at £37 when I consider the cost just getting the blank PCB of any board and parts probably closer to £80 with all the ball ache and new skill sets required to construct the board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2017 02:56PM by jinx.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login