Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Make PR for repetier firmware

Posted by boelle 
Make PR for repetier firmware
January 11, 2017 05:17PM
Anyone able to extract the XYZ compensation from Prusa's firmware and make a PR out of it that can be submitted to Repetier?

would be nice to have, even the "special" bed is open source... The MK42 not to be mistaken with the Mk2
Re: Make PR for repetier firmware
January 11, 2017 06:09PM
no idea on how to do the code but i find this one interesting

[github.com]

it mentions the 9 cord's on the bed
January 11, 2017 07:55PM
boelle
no idea on how to do the code but i find this one interesting

[github.com]

it mentions the 9 cord's on the bed

Repetier already has grid levelling: you need to enable distortion correction in the firmware, then you can choose how many points per side of the square to probe.

Sadly it doesn't handle the round bed of a delta, only square beds eye rolling smiley

Boelle, XYZ compensation would be amazing. I've needed it in the past, and had to resort to resizing the part in Meshmixer, then slicing and printing it that way. Not ideal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 07:56PM by nebbian.
January 12, 2017 07:16AM
Yep it would be awesome as repetier is the most error free firmware out there right now... not completely free of bugs but the best so far

XYZ could be taken out of the prusa firmware i guess and made in to a PR for repetier, even thou its based on marlin firmware it should be possible
January 12, 2017 07:56AM
"repetier is the most error free firmware out there right now" what a load of propaganda...

Please provide hard facts and details to support this claim
January 13, 2017 05:47AM
You can phone up my bin of failed prints and ask what firmware they are printed with :-P

Other than that I will not engange in hostile conversations
January 13, 2017 08:00AM
boelle
You can phone up my bin of failed prints and ask what firmware they are printed with :-P

Other than that I will not engange in hostile conversations

How many different firmwares have you actually tried? Using the term "most error-free firmware" implies that you have tried them all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 08:01AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 13, 2017 08:06AM
read the whole line "... not completely free of bugs but the best so far"

tried marlin and repetier

but anyways i take this as only 1 has interest and the rest are just trooling
January 13, 2017 08:23AM
Hi boelle,

Ignore the offtopic posts, they're not worth it.

Can you expand more on how the Prusa firmware works? From what I can see it has some special points on the bed that it locates carefully using an inductive sensor, and can then figure out how skewed the axes are. Does this match what you're talking about?

How would you do this without a special bed? I'm thinking perhaps that you could stick some bumps on the surface near the corners (carefully measured of course)?

Or are you just after some config variables to change the X/Y/Z scaling?
January 13, 2017 08:39AM
XYZ compensation (also called orhogonal axis compensation, or more accurately non-orthogonal axis compensation) isn't new. RepRapFirmware has supported it for more than 3 years.

What's new about Prusa's design is that he has some sort of markers in the bed that the inductive Z probe can detect, so that the XYZ compensation can be configured automatically instead of manually. If you are trying to mass-produce 3D printers and it's too hard or too expensive to get the mechanics moving at right angles, this is useful. If you are a hobbyist, it seems unnecessary to me. It's not hard to get the axes at right angles in most designs, and if you don't then manual configuration of the compensation can be used. Depending on how accurate the inductive sensing is, manual configuration of the compensation might be more accurate too.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 13, 2017 09:06AM
"has some sort of markers in the bed"

yep 8mm circles which can be seen in the opensource design: [github.com]

"If you are trying to mass-produce "

i'm not

" it seems unnecessary to me."

well not everyone is you :-D

" Depending on how accurate the inductive sensing is"

well if the markers are only as big as the sensor and if you search for them in zigzag pattern to get the precise center it could be better than manual

i can see the cords in the code but how it works precisely and how to "export" it and insert it in other firmwares is outside my knowledge box
January 13, 2017 09:16AM
"Can you expand more on how the Prusa firmware works? "

Nope, the only thing i can see is the points in the code so it knows where they are

like you i assume it does search for them and then figures the skewness by comparing

"How would you do this without a special bed?"

I have found that the bed is not so special, it just have these 9 points where it triggers... outside the points the inductive probe will not trigger...

could it be done with a "normal" bed like the mk2.... maybe but then we would have to deal with changing the spots cords and stick something on the top of it that makes it trigger

and why bother? an pcb made on alu substrate can be made for about 35£ if getting 5 at a time

"Or are you just after some config variables to change the X/Y/Z scaling?"

ideal would be to get the bed produced as the source files specs and have a option to calibrate things just like prusa does.

downsidea to his hack of marlin is that it only seems to support one extruder. and again i will not go for marlin as my waste bin says no... i had way to many false triggers on the extruder temp. also a lot of times the thing just frezzes up either with the nozzle heating or sometimes it killed the heating... i have had none of that with repetier and simply since that works i live by the rule if its not broken dont try to fix it...
January 13, 2017 09:23AM
i will admit that Reprap firmware could have been an alternative if it would run on 8 bit hardware

and yes i can hear the screaming about go for better hardware, but why trash perfectly working hardware? does not make sense to be, and i need to figure if reprap also supports color mixing
January 13, 2017 09:24AM
It seems quite clever. They are able to produce the bed to much tighter tolerances than everyone's random poorly built printer, so skewing the software to match the bed makes sense.

Are you trying to mass produce something, or correct a skew in your prints?

If the latter, check out axis compensation.

You need to
#define FEATURE_AXISCOMP 1

in your config file, and then it looks like you can set the XY axis skew in EEPROM using Repetier Host. From the looks of things you need to figure out the tan value of two measurements. You might need to do some digging to figure this out properly.

For the others reading this thread, please refresh your memory of the title, especially the bit that says "Repetier".
January 13, 2017 09:32AM
"Are you trying to mass produce something, "

nope, just thought this was a good thing to get added to the mainstream firmwares

i would not have anything against it was implemented in both marlin and repetier.

"s. You might need to do some digging to figure thi"

maybe this explains what i'm after.... i want it to be automatic

ideal it could tell me how much my printer is skewed so i have a chance to correct the hardware and then have the firmware correct the last bit i cant do

"the title, especially the bit that says "Repetier"."

any suggestions? Make PR for marlin and repetier firmwares ?
January 13, 2017 09:42AM
I know you want it to be automatic, but that will take a long time. A quicker way might be to measure your skew and put those numbers into your firmware.

Have you made an issue yet?
[github.com]

These usually get more attention by the people in control of the project.
January 13, 2017 09:53AM
i did put it in as a request on their forums

[forum.repetier.com]
January 29, 2017 03:35PM
I think this is what is to be considered a dead horse... think i will just go for the design of the mk42 bed but without the 9 probe points... the 6 zoned heating is at least something better compared to the standard mk2 bed
January 29, 2017 10:25PM
Stupid.
So instead of printing a straight line, moving in only one axis, you'll print a stair step that approximates a straight line, because Prusa knows prosumers can't square up the axis worth doo-doo.
And if the bed isn't assembled square to the axis, the firmware will assume it is?, and "compensate" so your print is square with the little dots, in all 3 axis no less.
Great, now they can ship machines with bent rails, and it will be "okay".

The leveling grid makes sense. XYZ comp, marketing genius.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2017 10:26PM by prot0typ1cal.
January 30, 2017 04:46AM
Of course their bed is doing magic and not correcting, but so does all bed level stuff.

They have never corrected a problem but only compensated for it.

My idea was to be able to both compensate but also being told how far off the machine is so that you could correct it until the machine says it does not need correction... or until at least you get to where you cant correct it anymore without overshooting the ideal frame

But well i will not flok this dead horse anymore. follow unticked :-D
March 17, 2017 07:16PM
well this one might spark some interest: [www.indiegogo.com]

at least prusa will not sit on the market for these beds much longer.

but again some software genius will still need to port the feature to the other firmwares.

if not then at least people will have a slightly bigger bed with zoned heating
March 18, 2017 05:06AM
I would be a bit wary of that because making heat beds is not as simple as sending the gerber files to a PCB fabricator. Getting the correct resistance and getting it flat enough consistently would be difficult I think.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 18, 2017 05:29AM
Indeed, they shouldn't be plated. I'm wary of this campaign because he's talking about getting them in "2.4mm or maybe 3.2mm" - I think the real mk42 is 6mm FR4?. 3mm won't be stiff enough and will still need an aluminium plate which won't help with performance.
March 18, 2017 12:24PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the heatbed in the Prusa i3 MK2 uses a custom sensor that's much smaller than the normal inductive probes out on the market?

The 9 probe point I think are designed against their custom sensor, a larger sensor might work, but isn't going to be as accurate as their custom sensor considering the size difference of the sensing circle. So even having the MK42 heat bed isn't going to help unless you can pair it with their custom sensor with regards to the 9 probe points.

The heat zones might be an improvement, but the variheatbed from E3D's big box already has that readily available in the 300x200 size available for order. It does work very well too as I've got one fitted to one CoreXY printer I have at the moment.
March 19, 2017 08:01AM
It is custom, but what's customised isn't clear. There are lots of 8mm diameter inductive sensors about.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login