Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MINIMUM PRINTING SPEED

Posted by PrintingDeutsch 
MINIMUM PRINTING SPEED
January 11, 2017 09:07AM
Hi all,

I have a Mendel 3 3D Printer, and I was wondering what is the Minimum Speed Limit.

I have found it to be 200 mm/min,(maybe you can confirm), but I would like to go to less than that and I don't find the way to do it.

Does anybody knows how I can maybe sort of hack it to lower its Speed?

Thank you very much,

PrintingDeutsch
Re: MINIMUM PRINTING SPEED
January 11, 2017 09:26AM
Why would you want to go slower than ~3mm/sec?
Thats insanely slow.
January 11, 2017 09:31AM
I am modifying the 3D Printer because I am trying to print other materials other than PLA or ABS, and they Need lower Speeds otherwise it doesn't work.
January 11, 2017 09:35AM
Honestly im not sure. Most people would cringe moving at those speeds.
What material are you trying to print? I cant think of a single material that would need speeds that low.
January 11, 2017 09:44AM
For example really viscous Solutions, the flow rate at which they get out of the nozzle is really low so you actually Need slow scan Speeds.
I've searched everywhere but nobody talks about it (and I suppose it's normal as the General objective is to go as fast as possible with the best precision).
But still if anyone know if it's possible to do it it would be of much help!

And thank you Floyd for your answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 09:48AM by PrintingDeutsch.
January 11, 2017 10:10AM
I can try tonight to see how slow I can run my i3 with Marlin RC8.
Ill try for 1mm/sec and see if it works.
January 11, 2017 10:41AM
Alright tell me what result you get! I'll be in contact.
January 11, 2017 12:23PM
I would be tempted to say there are other methods to achieve the result you want, without using insanely slow speeds. If your material is so viscous, are you even achieving inter layer bonding? Upping the temperature will in most cases (I cant think of one where it doesn't, unless of course you go so high you carbonize the material...) increase flow, letting you print faster and giving better layer bonding.
January 11, 2017 02:14PM
Origamib
I would be tempted to say there are other methods to achieve the result you want, without using insanely slow speeds. If your material is so viscous, are you even achieving inter layer bonding? Upping the temperature will in most cases (I cant think of one where it doesn't, unless of course you go so high you carbonize the material...) increase flow, letting you print faster and giving better layer bonding.

Your assuming he is trying to extrude plastic or some other material that requires heat to begin flow. There are other applications with paste applicators that wouldn't use heat, but might still use the same setup used in a 3D printer.
January 11, 2017 05:00PM
Origamib

You're right that increasing the temperature the viscosity would be lower, but I need the material to hold itself, otherwise the layer printed would just fall appart obtaining not a 3D line but just a flat surface, so I need to keep viscosity high.
January 11, 2017 11:54PM
Results. I just got my i3 to a PAINFULLY slow .25mm/sec
So yes its possible to get that slow. It was so slow in fact that I had to look very close to see any movement in the belts.
January 12, 2017 04:02AM
grinning smiley alright then I suppose it might be that my 3D Printer can't go slower, or maybe at Settings there's a Limit by defect.
Thank you very much, I understand that it was painful and I am grateful that you did the test grinning smiley
January 12, 2017 08:28AM
Not sure what slicer software your using but it was real easy to set to 1mm/sec in Cura. From there I used the LCD knob to lower the speed even more.
January 12, 2017 09:12PM
I'd never thought about a minimum speed - something new comes along every day smiling smiley
January 13, 2017 08:25AM
Yea it was odd seeing the printer going that slow.
January 13, 2017 08:59AM
Floyd
Not sure what slicer software your using but it was real easy to set to 1mm/sec in Cura. From there I used the LCD knob to lower the speed even more.

I don't think its the slicer Software (slic3r), but the 3D Printer itself (reprap Mendel 3). I'll check if the slicer can have anything to do with it though and tell you about.
January 13, 2017 09:32AM
In Cura there was maybe 4-6 speed settings that I had to set to 1mm/sec.
Also you could just manually edit the code to drop the feedrate then run it.
January 13, 2017 09:43AM
Floyd
In Cura there was maybe 4-6 speed settings that I had to set to 1mm/sec.
Also you could just manually edit the code to drop the feedrate then run it.

Actually, I write the g-code myself (most of the time) so I set the Speed I want. But when going lower than F200, the Printer just keeps going at the same Speed (200mm/min or 3.33mm/sec).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login