Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Geetech Pursa I3 X restarting while printing from SD

Posted by merlinds 
Geetech Pursa I3 X restarting while printing from SD
January 06, 2017 03:07PM
Hi All,

After some extensive reading without finding an answer and being farily new to 3d printing I decided that I need help.
Basically my printer restarts at random while printing from an SD card. I have had 0 issues while printing from USB, but hardly completed any prints with the card.
The printer has:
2 cooler fans + 1 PWM fan that I attached
4 Stepper mottors
1 extruder
1 heated bed.
The controller board is a GT2560
I have checked all connections and adjusted all screws, and once I cought the printer just retarting and checked the PCB and all components seemed to be fairly cold.
I measured directly from the PSU and got 12.1V at idle and the same under load. The fans are getting 12V and the heated bed and extruder are getting around 11V under load.
I have also calibrated all my steppers to use minimum current.
Tried with lots of different gcodes produced by: Slic3r, Cura and Simplify3D.

I really suspect that the extra power that the SD draws is causing the PSU to fail, but I donĀ“t know how to test it. Also I want to add another fan but fear that it might be too much.

Thank you so much in advance and sorry for my bad english (non native)

Regards,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2017 03:15PM by merlinds.
Re: Geetech Pursa I3 X restarting while printing from SD
January 09, 2017 03:33AM
One of the possible causes is when the heated bed switches on. The power drop might reset the printer.
This would probably explain why it only happens when using the card, because as you say, the card draws some extra power.
It also explains the randomness of the reset. Only way to check it to watch really closely and see if the reset happens when the heater switches on.
Re: Geetech Pursa I3 X restarting while printing from SD
January 10, 2017 01:11PM
Yes, you are probably right. My PSU broke yesterday mid print, now it does buzzing sound.
This lead me to do some reaserch on it, and I think the cause was indeed the PSU.
The one included by Geetech was rated at 12v 15amp. Doing some math on the power drawing componens of the printer left me with a power consumption of about 20amp.
So, the small and faulty PSU was probably causing this.
Today I received a 30amp PSU to replace it. I will post the results once I have the time to install and test it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login