Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help me step up from something better than MKS gen

Posted by dasflux 
Help me step up from something better than MKS gen
November 21, 2016 01:15AM
Started with a Tarantula running mks base. Moved to gen with the new tmc drivers and I'm finalizing my first build from scratch. I'm looking for recommendations for someone with about 8 months under their belt and programming experience(so firmware modifications like in marlin and no problem to me). I was reading this tonight ( [pinshape.com] ) and that beagle board sounds really awesome. I would rather have something more established. So i guess my questions are.

1. How much better is 1/32nd micro stepping? Is it really worth it?

2. What are some good board recommendations as someone coming from gen with an intermediate amount of setup? And it would be nice to carry those TMC's over if possible. So many options...

Thanks! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Re: Help me step up from something better than MKS gen
November 21, 2016 03:46PM
I'd consider a duetwifi TMC2100s on board and running 1/256 interpolated microstepping. Wifi enabled and very active firmware development and support from the designer/programmer.

No real downsides, not cheap but it is good.

I was dubious when I bought it, coming from a fairly thorough understanding of marlin/ramps but for a high quality printer it's hard to argue for anything else especially reading this thread which refers to smoothie board.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
November 21, 2016 04:00PM
DjDemonD
I'd consider a duetwifi TMC2100s on board and running 1/256 interpolated microstepping.

Thanks for recommending the board that I co-developed! Actually the Duet WiFi uses TMC2660 stepper drivers, which offer the same interpolated 1/256 microstepping as the TMC2100 but are more controllable and have a higher current rating.

To answer the OP's question #1, higher microstepping makes the motors quieter. So 1/32 is quieter than 1/16; but 1/256 is so quiet that many users of the Duet WiFi say they can't hear the motors over the noise of the mechanics and the fans.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 21, 2016 10:07PM
Awesome thanks! Well what do you think about that beagle board? Sounds pretty awesome. But im checking out the duet right now! Got a good place to order from? I like that I also get to keep my tft touch lcd. Wish the drivers werent integrated but I think im gonna go with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2016 10:11PM by dasflux.
November 22, 2016 05:57AM
I don't know anything about the Beagle 3d printer card. Hopefully someone here does.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
November 22, 2016 09:55PM
I myself am considering the BBB and either the replicape or the cramps cape (leaning more to the last one) the only thing that is holding me for now is the firmware development on the BBB is still in dippers and if abandoned as printer controller will leave me with a pretty expensive paper holder.
November 23, 2016 02:04AM
dasflux
... But im checking out the duet right now! Got a good place to order from? I like that I also get to keep my tft touch lcd. Wish the drivers werent integrated but I think im gonna go with it.

Duet WiFi (UK) [www.duet3d.com]
Duet 0.8.5 (UK) [www.think3dprint3d.com]
Both (USA) [www.filastruder.com]

Integrated drivers are much more reliable than plug in drivers, but even so you should never connect or disconnect motors when the board is powered.

Your touch LCD is unlikely to be compatible. The Duet supports a intelligent touch screen with an on-screen keyboard.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login