Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D Fractals and FDM printing

Posted by DaGameFace 
3D Fractals and FDM printing
October 20, 2016 12:32PM
MANY fractals are terrible to 3d print, the classic pyramid fractal is extremely week,

the cube isn't bad but overhangs are very weird as there are holes in the bridge

many others are too complex to print or too fragile to remove from the bed, but there is a math artist out there who has designed several fractals that would look amazing and could be printed on a well tuned fdm printer with little trouble. I want one of these:

his name is Henry Segerman (you may know his triple ring gears featured on numberphile), and he posts his creations on shapeways but nowhere can I find stl files of his work or any similar fractals. If anyone knows where to find it or how to create there own I would love to be able to print some of these.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 12:33PM by DaGameFace.

If you need some help, or don't understand what I just said, feel free to send me a PM anytime

Printer: Prusa i3, 2 E3D v6 Hotends, Arduino + RAMPS 1.4 with a Bypassed 5V Regulator, 400w Insignia ATX PSU, Custom Designed Bowden Extruders
Re: 3D Fractals and FDM printing
October 20, 2016 12:46PM
You want to know how to create Fractals?

[www.amazon.com]

You want to print a fractal model?

[duckduckgo.com]

You want to rip off an artists particular STL so he can't sell you his art? Get out of here.

He's already put lots of stuff on Thingiverse.

[www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 12:48PM by DragonFire.
October 20, 2016 06:39PM

You want to rip off an artists particular STL so he can't sell you his art?

I think that's a bit harsh. Maybe the OP just wants to print out that cool design for himself?

[s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com] (shared by Henry at [www.3dprintmath.com]) contains his 3D models from his book. You might want to buy that?. I guess that if it's not in that file, he didn't want to share it. You could always ask him directly via [www.3dprintmath.com]

[edit] I was browsing through the .zip file, and saw the object you're after... look at "3d_files\7_menagerie\7-4\developing_hilbert_curve.obj"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 08:05PM by frankvdh.
October 20, 2016 06:51PM
If you look into fractal vases on Thingiverse, there's a guy who provides a tutorial about how to create them (I've misplaced the link or I would post it). You start with ChaosPro to generate a series of fractal images in which parameters vary. You then use ImageJ to turn the series of images into a solid object file, then use Blender to do some surface smoothing and export the STL. You could probably use MeshLab to do surface smoothing, too.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 20, 2016 09:27PM

http://www.3dizingof.com/3D-Printing/product-category/free-designs/

imagine trying to print this

[theprobotics.blogspot.co.uk]

[3dmathmodels.site.wesleyan.edu]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 09:52PM by MechaBits.
October 20, 2016 10:47PM
frankvdh

I think that's a bit harsh. Maybe the OP just wants to print out that cool design for himself?

[s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com] (shared by Henry at [www.3dprintmath.com]) contains his 3D models from his book. You might want to buy that?. I guess that if it's not in that file, he didn't want to share it. You could always ask him directly via [www.3dprintmath.com]

[edit] I was browsing through the .zip file, and saw the object you're after... look at "3d_files\7_menagerie\7-4\developing_hilbert_curve.obj"

First of all, yeah, harsh dude.

it's not like I want to flat out steal his designs, and it's pretty well established in the art world that when someone does something cool, others want to emulate it. All I want is cool looking 3D math art in the public domain for anyone with access to a printer to be able to enjoy.

thank you Frankvdh, did not think to see if he sold his models anywhere, its actually a math professor that wants some fractals printed so that he can show students that math isnt always boring but when I saw some of the work done by Segerman I really appreciated the design and loved that it looked like it could be fdm printed

DD, i did see some tutorials on creating fractals, but too many other projects are higher ranking than this and they are going extremely slow due to college and work..
October 20, 2016 11:30PM
You could always ask him directly.
October 21, 2016 08:24AM

]First of all, yeah, harsh dude.

Seems to be a common assumption that a 3D model is, by definition, open source, and can be freely distributed. Just as some people assume that all digital files can be freely distributed (music, films) without causing harm.

That isn't the case. Some people RELY ON THEIR LIVELIHOOD by selling printed models of their art.

That doesn't seem the case with Professor Segersen though, so in this case, yes, my mistake, my assumption... Sorry for hurt feelings.

thank you Frankvdh, did not think to see if he sold his models anywhere, its actually a math professor that wants some fractals printed so that he can show students that math isnt always boring but when I saw some of the work done by Segerman I really appreciated the design and loved that it looked like it could be fdm printed.

That is the funny part, as the model creator is also a Maths Professor. smiling smiley

DD, i did see some tutorials on creating fractals, but too many other projects are higher ranking than this and they are going extremely slow due to college and work..

Very wise. The book I recommended is actually used as the core curriculum for a Carnegie-Mellon qualification, or at least it was. Not something you pick up and understand quickly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 08:29AM by DragonFire.
October 21, 2016 09:48AM
Isn't there a way to make Fractal Vases in Simplify-3D or one of the Slicer programs?

I'm sure that one of the YouTubers was talking about it, I'll see if I can find the Video and get back to you guys.

Out of the box thinking is easier when you never fitted in the box to begin with. smiling smiley
October 21, 2016 11:33AM
I doubt it has that good a fractal generator. Fractal = FRACTionAL dimension.

It's not a case of working in 1D, 2D, 3D... more a case of working in 7.4e2334 D. smiling smiley

Could well be wrong on that though, have never used the software.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 11:41AM by DragonFire.
October 21, 2016 03:50PM
Rlewisrlou666
Isn't there a way to make Fractal Vases in Simplify-3D or one of the Slicer programs?

I'm sure that one of the YouTubers was talking about it, I'll see if I can find the Video and get back to you guys.

You can take an STL file that represents a solid and turn it into a single walled vase in the slicer by using the spiral vase mode (or whatever the particular slicer call it), but it doesn't create the model.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
VDX
October 21, 2016 04:41PM
... not a fractal, but a nice methode to convert a "dull" 3D shape into something more exciting - [forums.reprap.org]

I've made this "Voronoi-bunny" with Meshlab and Meshmixer from the common Stanford bunny by remeshing the surface and calculating the regular distributed holes winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 04:41PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 21, 2016 04:49PM
If you watch the lulzbot interview with Tom Sanladerer here have a look on top of the printer. winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Out of the box thinking is easier when you never fitted in the box to begin with. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login