Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metals4U in UK for 303 and 304 stainless steel round bar/rod

Posted by Gatchaman 
Metals4U in UK for 303 and 304 stainless steel round bar/rod
October 19, 2016 01:55PM
Done some searching on here but can't really find an answer to the question of... has anyone bought and used 303 stainless steel round bar from www.Metals4U.co.uk and lived to tell the tale. I think I'll purchase 3M of various diameters of 303 and 304.

Found this [forums.reprap.org] but not much else. I've sent a PM to martinprice2004 to ask for more info but in the mean time if anyone else can chip in then please do!

This is kind of a stretch but I just want to stock up on supplies while the £ is relatively okay.......

It will be a one time only £75 order so I can't afford to get this wrong!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 05:46PM by Gatchaman.
Re: Metals4U in UK for 303 and 304 stainless steel round bar
October 19, 2016 02:09PM
SS not bought that from them, but the brass I got off them a couple years ago was quality stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 04:53PM by DragonFire.
October 19, 2016 02:59PM
Have you tried Aalco?

Not sure on prices but may be worth a shot.

[www.aalco.co.uk]

Out of the box thinking is easier when you never fitted in the box to begin with. smiling smiley
October 20, 2016 10:11AM
Thanks for the replies.

I think there is a saying that goes if you can't see the price tag then it's too expensive or something like that. Google isn't my friend in this case.

I bet aalco.co.uk will be the guys that supply firms like metals4u.co.uk with huge truck loads of metal.
Re: Metals4U in UK for 303 and 304 stainless steel round bar/rod
October 20, 2016 10:26AM
How much do you want?

My Brother in Law Works for them I can have a chat if you want?

I bought a Sheet of Aluminium off them a while ago so I know they sell to the public.

Out of the box thinking is easier when you never fitted in the box to begin with. smiling smiley
October 20, 2016 11:46AM
Generally prices are not posted because they often add discounts varying on customer needs.
That is the normal business practice.
October 20, 2016 12:24PM
Another reason why some companies prices are not printed is because of exchange rate fluctuations... which is what the OP was aiming to cash in on. winking smiley
October 20, 2016 01:19PM
The reason why I'm after the rods right now is because yes the £ is a bit unstable after Brexit and I'm tired of buying and waiting for stuff from Aliexpress/The bay. Things from China might be cheap but it's a total crapshoot.

Just want to get a big, for me anyway, load of rods that I can cut to what I want, when I want.

But the question remains....... can the bars/rods be used for running linear bearings?

I asked metals4u.co.uk if it was possible to run bearings on the bars/rods and they sent me a datasheet which was a carbon copy of one* at aalco.co.uk, and that's where I got the idea that one supplies the other with metal. In the datasheet it does state that the bars/rods can be used for shafts, but is that before or after machining???

Until that question can be answered I can't purchase anything.
Has anyone bought some of this stuff? [www.metals4u.co.uk] and lived to print with it?
I'm was planning to buy 3M rods of 6mmx2, 8mmx3 and 12mmx1** 303/304 to the tune of £76 ex vat (free delivery) if and when I can get a definitive answer + pay day supercombo!!

*I can't find the aalco datasheet now :-(. That always happens! Grrrrr!
** quantities subject to change.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 01:45PM by Gatchaman.
October 20, 2016 01:31PM
Dude, even if somebody had, that doesn't mean you are going to get the same stuff.

Here's what you do - ask for a datasheet, ask them what the tolerances are in machining.

If it's better than 0.05mm it will do just fine as smooth rod, better tolerances mean less friction.

If it doesn't match the datasheet and is crap, send it back as not matching the stated specification.

Do you own work rather than relying on hearsay. PLEASE.

If you don't know how smooth you want it, how do you expect us to know? Psychic powers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 01:32PM by DragonFire.
October 20, 2016 01:42PM
I am doing my own work but I'm just asking if anyone has "recently" bought some rods from them and lived to print with it. That's all.

If you read martinprice2004 post he says the rods are okay but the post was made in 2011.
"I used www.metals4u.co.uk the softer stainless 304 and they run very smooth through LM8UU but cuts easily with a hacksaw. "

I've sent a PM to him but no answer so far.

303 aalco datasheet [www.aalco.co.uk]

304L aalco datasheet [www.aalco.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 02:44PM by Gatchaman.
October 20, 2016 02:59PM
303 cannot be cold worked so I'm guessing that would be the harder of the 2

October 20, 2016 05:40PM
If you see your brother in law please ask him to enquire about the rods that I mentioned in my 3rd post.
Pity he can't run a couple of different sized bearings up and down them to see how they roll........

"APPLICATIONS Grade 303 is used in applications that require parts to be heavily machined. These applications include: Nuts and bolts Screws Gears Aircraft fittings Bushings Shafts"

"303 Hardness Brinell 230 Max HB"

vs

"APPLICATIONS 304 stainless steel is typically used in:
Sinks and splashbacks Saucepans Cutlery and flatware Architectural panelling Sanitaryware and troughs Tubing Brewery, dairy, food and pharmaceutical production equipment Springs, nuts, bolts and screws"

"304L Hardness Brinell 215 Max HB"

303 It is then.

Datasheet sent to me from Metals4U.
"Good afternoon,

Many thanks for your e-mail.
Unfortunately, I am unable to directly answer your request.

Please find below technical information based on grade 303 round bar, I hope this helps answer your question.
1.4305 Bar

Stainless steel type 1.4305 is popularly known as grade 303 stainless steel. Grade 303 is the most readily machineable of all the austenitic grades of stainless steel.
The machineable nature of grade 303 is due to the presence of Sulphur in the steel composition. Whilst the Sulphur improves machining, it also causes a decrease in the corrosion resistance and a slight lowering of the toughness. The corrosion resistance of type 303 is lower than that for 304. The toughness is still excellent as with other austenitic grades.
Property data given in this document is typical for bar products covered by EN 10088-3:2005. ASTM, or other standards may cover products sold. It is reasonable to expect specifications in these standards to be similar but not necessarily identical to those given in this datasheet.

Chemical Composition

Spec: EN 10088-3:2005
1.4305 Steel
Chemical Element % Present
Carbon (C) 0.0 - 0.10
Chromium (Cr) 17.00 - 19.00
Manganese (Mn) 0.0 - 2.00
Silicon (Si) 0.0 - 1.00
Phosphorous (P) 0.0 - 0.05
Sulphur (S) 0.15 - 0.35
Nickel (Ni) 8.00 - 10.00
Copper (Cu) 0.0 - 1.00
Nitrogen (N) 0.0 - 0.11
Iron (Fe) Balance
Properties

Physical Property Value
Density 8.03 g/cm³
Melting Point 1455 °C
Thermal Expansion 17.3 x10^-6 /K
Modulus of Elasticity 193 GPa
Thermal Conductivity 16.3 W/m.K
Electrical Resistivity 0.072 x10^-6 Ω .m

Spec: EN 10088-3:2005
Bar - Up to 160mm Dia / Thickness
Mechanical Property Value
Proof Stress 190 Min MPa
Tensile Strength 500 to 750 MPa
Elongation A50 mm 35 Min %
Hardness Brinell 230 Max HB

Alloy Designations
Stainless Steel Grade 1.4305/334 also corresponds to the following designations but may not be a direct equivalent:
UNS S30300
BS 303S31
EN 58M

Supplied Forms
This is a machining bar specification, typically supplied as round and hexagon
Bar

Applications
Grade 303 is used in applications that require parts to be heavily machined. These applications include:
Nuts and bolts
Screws
Gears
Aircraft fittings
Bushings
Shafts

Corrosion Resistance
Sulphur additions to the composition act as initiation sites for pitting corrosion. This decreases the corrosion resistance of 303 stainless steel to less than that for 304. However. corrosion resistance remains good in mild environments.
In chloride containing environments over 60°C, 303 stainless steel is subject to pitting and crevice corrosion. Grade 303 stainless is not suitable for use in marine environments.

Heat Resistance
Grade 303 stainless steel has good resistance to oxidation when intermittently exposed to temperature up to 760°C temperatures. It also has good oxidation resistance in continuous service to 870°C. This, however, is not recommended as 303 is sensitive to carbide precipitation with continuous use at 425-860°C.

Fabrication
Fabrication of all stainless steels should be done only with tools dedicated to stainless steel materials. Tooling and work surfaces must be thoroughly cleaned before use. These precautions are necessary to avoid cross contamination of stainless steel by easily corroded metals that may discolour the surface of the fabricated product.

Cold Working
Type 303 is not readily cold workable. Some cold working is possible but sharp bending should not be attempted.

Hot Working
Fabrication methods, like forging, that involve hot working like should occur after uniform heating to 1149-1260°C. The fabricated components should then be rapidly cooled to ensure maximum corrosion resistance.

Machinability
Grade 303 stainless steel has excellent machinability. Machining can be enhanced by adhering to the following rules:
Cutting edges must be kept sharp. Dull edges cause excess work hardening.
Cuts should be light but deep enough to prevent work hardening by riding on the surface of the material.
Chip breakers should be employed to assist in ensuring swarf remains clear of the work
Low thermal conductivity of austenitic alloys results in heat concentrating at the cutting edges. This means coolants and lubricants are necessary and must be used in large quantities.

Heat Treatment
Grade 303 stainlesssteel cannot be hardened by heat treatment.
Solution treatment or annealing can be done by rapid cooling after heating to 1010-1120°C.

Weldability
The sulphur addition present in 303 stainless steel results in poor weldability. If 303 must be welded the recommended filler rods or electrodes are grades 308L and 309 stainless steels. For maximum corrosion resistance, the welds must be annealed.
Kind Regards
Sam
Metals4u
sam@metals.........
Customer helpline:

Be the first to hear about offers and promotions from metals4U:

metals4U &bagoftools are part of the metals4U group of companies"

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 07:01PM by Gatchaman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login