Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone interested in starting a stepper motor salvage database? I'll be the first to start the list!

Posted by fazz33 
Hello hello,

I've seen old posts before about building a list of machines that contain useful motors. I also saw there use to be a site that did that but it seems it is dead now and that's sad because I'm currently in the process with fiddling with salvaged parts to make a large volume RAMPS controlled generic printing machine.

I know most people are interested only in NEMA standard motors which is fine.

Anyways I've taken apart about 20-25 various machines and and successfully identified a few sources of these things and wouldn't mind uploading info on what I've got. So to start I'll post info below.

1) Machine : RicohFAX 5510L (And all similar models)
Motor: Minebea 17PM-J802-G1VS (NEMA 17), 6 pin Unipolar (can be driven as a bi-polar)

I got these for free from someone who had got them from an auction thinking they'd work as printers, unfortunately for the person the ones he got did not have the printer control card in it (it was an extra on this machine)

2) Machine : Microtek Scanmaker 5950 Teco
Motor : Teco DSH40 (NEMA 14), 4 pin Bi-polar

I got this at a thrift store ($10 Canadian), I didn't think much at first but after removing the plastic top on the feeder I was pleasantly surprised to just see this thing through some plastic covering, I've taken apart similar machines before only to find either tiny can steppers or just some little dc motors with rotary encoders.

3) Machine : Cricut CRV002
Motor : I don't know I haven't opened it up yet but I've seen photos online this thing has 2 NEMA 17 standard motors in it, I don't know if I will because I might actually use it

I also got this at a thrift store, they said it was sold as is because there was no power adapter for it, So I bought it for about $6.00 (Canadian) and to my surprise it powered up (After digging out a AC adapter) and appeared to be fine.

So there we go a start to this if anyone wants to join in.
Ok new to the list, It's not a NEMA standard but it should get an honorable mention because they are beefy! They are a bit slow so if you are planning a conventional build probably best to use them only for Z drivers (I'm using them otherwise because I wanted to try)

4) Machine: Hp Laserjet 1012/1015/1018/1020
Motor: Mitsumi M49SP-2K, It's a 4 pin Bi-polar. It's actually a 24V motor but it runs fine at 12V (400mA) just with reduced torque. There is a 12V variant which I will post about later.

I actually also thrifted these machines, they were about 3 dollars each at thrift shops and they are plentiful (And that's why I think it's worth mentioning)

Very nice, think i'll start looking at old printers and fax machines with a different eye from now on
Haha do it! There are many useful parts in a lot of older even some new Laser printers, I got all my limit switches from them!

Anyways another Mitsumi! Again it's a bit slow but I'm actually using this to drive the Z-Axis so I find it acceptable. It's 7.5 Degree steps isn't great but it's acceptable when coupled with a threaded rod.

5) Machine: Lexmark E210
Motor : M49SP-1, Another 4 pin Bi-Polar motor. This version is similar to stepper number 4 but it is the 12V variant! This one on the machine has a fan directly attached to the drive shaft on the end of the motor!

This machine was just given to me by someone who didn't want it anymore.

One suggestion - it is good that people are listing model numbers and manufacturers, but there are a lot of dead stepper motors out there to be cannibalized into working complete models.

Main failure causes seem to be bearings and coil windings, swapping such components is another viabile way to get some working steppers... especially bearings (a non-turning motor is typically just a seized bearing, easily replaced).
Oh, that's an awesome idea, do you know of any guides out there for how to do this? I've never opened up a stepper yet. I probably should now that I have a bag full of tiny scanner driving stepper motors.

Cheers
Be aware that there is strong opinion that disassembly of new steppers will demagnetise them and reduce torque or stop proper function:

[forums.reprap.org]
Ah, ok.

I'll proceed with caution.

At any rate!

It's NEW MOTOR TIME!

Again another Mitsumi. I haven't tried this one but it is similar to the others. It is beefier though so I imagine more torque at 24V.

5) Machine: Samsung ML-2010
Motor: Mitsumi M55SP-2NK, It's a Bi-polar Stepper, 4 pin, 24V, has a fan attached to the shaft. Here's some info on a variant of it the M55SP-2K (No N) . [www.datasheetlib.com]

As for the story of this machine, I was simply walking home when I saw it basically curbed for the garbage, so I un-garbaged it.

Zedsquared
Be aware that there is strong opinion that disassembly of new steppers will demagnetise them and reduce torque or stop proper function:

[forums.reprap.org]

The only permanently magnetic components are hard to damage and not too difficult to remagnetize, being made out of steel.

[www.youtube.com]

Disassembly instructions Youtube, you need a screwdriver and a certain amount of brute force to take the back cover off. winking smiley

This isn't a typical NEMA stepper but there's not much difference, just round bodied...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 01:26PM by DragonFire.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login