Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Confused with Repetier Host Z-Correction

Posted by gadittri 
Confused with Repetier Host Z-Correction
October 08, 2016 01:44AM
I have a custom CoreXY machine that has been pretty reliable except for a not so flat PEI bed. I wanted to give Repetier Firmware Z-correction another go but I am confused on how to setup the XY offsets. My Z probe is 0,47 from my hotend nozzle and my nozzle is 0,12 from the print surface when at home. This translates to the Z probe is at 0,59 from home and a maximum 255,260 where I can safely probe the surface. I entered all this info into the EEPROM and configuration file but when I issue the G33 command the Y axis runs into the negative end stop. The only way I can stop this from occurring is to set my Z probe Y offset to 0 but I believe this causing a bad Z map and excessive squashed first layers at different parts of the bed. I have posted a rough drawing of my setup along with before and after Z map corrections which look great on paper but not so great printing. The videos and tutorials I researched all have to do with deltas and they seem to skip over the parts of configuring the probe offsets. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ZCorrectionmap.txt

Re: Confused with Repetier Host Z-Correction
October 10, 2016 07:49AM
Not an expert but no one has responded so:-
In you picture you put the min Y to 58 which is less than 59 so would hit the end stop.
Not clear if the sketch is the size of the bed or the travel range. Why is your Ymax for the scan area only 260? If you have 290 available to print then set the maxY to 280 for scanning.
October 10, 2016 02:48PM
After two days of trial and error I figured out a simple work around by homing all axes and then starting Y position at 47 before issuing the G33 command. The Y will move back 47mm and then begin probing normally. I did set the Y max to 290 and it is probing the entire bed. I've mapped the bed using 7x7, 10x10 and even 22x22 points. I have created height maps before and after with awesome correction results of no more than +/- .02mm variance across all points. The problem is when I print the map seems to be reversed or off because the nozzle is too close on parts of the bed and too far at other points. I simulated a high spot while probing the bed and it appeared to try and correct for it while printing which rules out a reversed probe map. I tried moving the probe Y offset from +47 to -47 but still prints incorrectly.

I don't know what else to try but it’s a cool concept though. I may just take my bed to a local machine shop and have them plane it flat. I already had this machine shop plane the 3/8" thick aluminum which looked like a mirror when finished. The uneven surface occurred when I attached the PEI sheet which caused several high and low spots.
October 10, 2016 09:25PM
Tonight I set the Y-min to 100 and Y-max to 290 with the probe offset to 45. No matter what I set the Ymin to it will still crash the Y axis into the negative limit. If I set the probe offset to 0 then runs without crashing. I have attach screen shots of my EEPROM and Configuration file. My G32 3 points are a bit odd values because I use it to level my bed manually by probing next to my bed mounts. I want to use G33 to correct for the highs and lows of the bed.

October 11, 2016 11:09PM
Update on my issues.
I loaded Repetier's dev. Firmware V 1.0 which no longer crashes into the negative Y limit and works as expected. My before bed distortion measurements showed my bed varied by 380um across 100 measurement points. After using a 400 point Z distortion correction map the same 100 measurement map varied by only 40um across a 255x295 bed. Awesome!! But for some reason when I print something it will be extremely high in spots and extremely squashed (estimate 100um too high and 100um too low) in areas. The firmware is applying corrections to my Z just not in the correct locations. Anyway, check out the before and after maps of my bed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login