Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Acetone vapor smoothing ABS and metal

Posted by etfrench 
Acetone vapor smoothing ABS and metal
September 17, 2016 03:28AM
I have a hinge printed in ABS and want to smooth the surface for looks. The hinge uses a steel rod for the pin. The holes have been drilled and reamed for a tight fit on the steel rod. Would it be better to leave a rod in each side of the hinge (using different rods for each side) during the vapor smoothing or just do the vapor smoothing without the rods?
Re: Acetone vapor smoothing ABS and metal
September 17, 2016 08:16AM
If you leave a rod in there, it will probably get stuck. The acetone 'melts' the abs, leaving the surface sticky. so any metal rod in the hinge could get stuck. Acetone also weakens ABS prints, so if this is a particularly load bearing hinge you may not want to do this. Consider printing with 4-5 perimeters and sanding instead to maintain strength.
September 17, 2016 03:18PM
if you dont want a reprint, I would suggest 2-3 coats of primer and a sanding then a finish coat

If you need some help, or don't understand what I just said, feel free to send me a PM anytime

Printer: Prusa i3, 2 E3D v6 Hotends, Arduino + RAMPS 1.4 with a Bypassed 5V Regulator, 400w Insignia ATX PSU, Custom Designed Bowden Extruders
September 18, 2016 03:03AM
Thanks for the replies. There won't be a lot of force on the hinge, so the vapor smoothing shouldn't affect the operation. Painting would require a lot more skill to make the parts look good. There are way too many nooks and crannies in the design for my skill level at painting smiling smiley
September 18, 2016 06:30AM
I always smooth first and then drill, ream or tap any holes. Anything you put in the holes during vapor smoothing will very likely get stuck thoroughly.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
September 20, 2016 07:35PM
Can you pull the metal part out and coat it in vaseline, then do the smoothing?

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login