Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shuddering Stepper Motors

Posted by rhit 
Shuddering Stepper Motors
August 15, 2016 08:40AM
We are working on a delta style printer and while we have functionality in that motion commands seem to execute normally, the platform the hot end is mounted on is extremely shaky. We are unsure where to begin fixing this problem. We have checked mechanical connections and taken voltage readings throughout the system with no luck of finding anomalies. Open to any suggestions.

Additionally, for the physical arm length put into the config file, we measured from connecting pin to connecting pin but believe this may be causing problems. Just wondering if there was some standard recommended for measuring this?

Cheers,
rhit
Re: Shuddering Stepper Motors
August 15, 2016 02:25PM
More information needed. In particular, you haven't said what electronics or firmware you are using to control your printer, and what microstepping you are using.

The rod length configured in the firmware should be the length between the bearing centres.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 15, 2016 08:17PM
Where are you seeing this shuddering? Near the middle of the bed? At the edges? Everywhere?

With motors powered off,can you move the carriages freely up and down?
August 16, 2016 10:11PM
My delta printer is doing the same thing, I am using marlin firmware with ramps 1.4. Some people says micro stepping is the problem, but other people say that micro stepping dont cause erratic behavior.
August 17, 2016 07:37AM
ben.meyer
My delta printer is doing the same thing, I am using marlin firmware with ramps 1.4. Some people says micro stepping is the problem, but other people say that micro stepping dont cause erratic behavior.

High microstepping is only a problem if your electronics and firmware are too slow to generate the steps at the required rate. If the shuddering only happens at high speeds, that is probably what's happening. Solutions include reducing maximum speed, using more efficient firmware, reducing the load on the processor (e.g. use lower segments/second and don't try to drive a graphical LCD), or (preferably) upgrade to 32-bit electronics.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login