Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta printer vibration

Posted by ben.meyer 
Delta printer vibration
August 11, 2016 05:44PM
Hey, I recently have built a delta printer and I can not figure out why it only vibrates when Manuelly lifting the z axis, however, it doesn't vibrate when homing it. I have the link here to a video of it doing this. delta printer problem.

I believe the problem is software related since the homing works but the Manuel z lift doesn't.

Thank you
Re: Delta printer vibration
August 11, 2016 08:41PM
Try setting the manual move rate to the same rate as homing uses. If there is no vibration, then increase or decrease the manual rate until it does.
August 11, 2016 09:10PM
That is my main problem where is that setting, i have tried feedrate, frequency, and other things that i thought could control Manuel move rate, however I cant find it. I am using marlin
August 12, 2016 10:02PM
It's odd none of the marlin experts have responded. I use smoothieware, so can't help with the settings.
August 13, 2016 03:44AM
It's normal to get some vibration at slow movement speeds. The lower the microstepping, the more vibration. My Delta became much quieter since I changed from x16 to x256 microstepping.

As your homing speed looks very high, perhaps you are not using the highest microstepping supported by your stepper drivers. If you are using plug in drivers then you may need to fit 3 jumpers underneath them.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 13, 2016 12:22PM
Could you please explain more about the jumpers. Also how do you adjust microstepping because I can't find anything in the code. Thanks
August 14, 2016 10:45AM
So if you're using ramps the microstepping is not set by code. Underneath the stepper driver boards which you can remove gently (with the power disconnected) are 3 jumper headers often labelled ms1, ms2, ms3. If you connect jumpers to all 3 you get 1/16 microstepping which is best for quiet motors. You can set 1/8 1/4 and 1/2 also, noisier but with more torque, these are only useful if the number of steps/sec you need to generate is very high and you want to reduce it.

It's worth noting there are bad batches of ramps boards with traces connecting the jumper headers effectively meaning they are always on 1/16th so you can't change them. You can check continuity with a multimeter to check if you've got one of these.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
August 14, 2016 11:29PM
But then why is the homing working and the stepping not? Does the microstepping not control the homing?
August 15, 2016 03:08AM
Microstepping is just moving the motors in smaller increments. If you have it turned off then your motors move in full steps, their "native resolution" so to speak, these are the notches you can feel if you turn the motor by hand. With 1/2 microstepping the motor can double its steps making it a bit smoother and quieter. It still moves in the same direction but now it needs to be sent twice as many step pulses to move the same distance.

Homing is just sending the motor towards an endstop until it triggers it and then calling that position, or some other position assumed from that physical reference point, home.

So you can home it with no microstepping, or you can have 1/16th microstepping for smoother quieter motors. Almost everyone goes with 1/16th using ramps unless as I said above you have a good reason not to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2016 03:10AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login