Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem trying to program fuses on Melzi w/avrdude

Posted by virgodave61 
Re: Problem trying to program fuses on Melzi w/avrdude
August 21, 2016 02:09AM
Wow this really sucks, I uninstalled Arduino then installed 1.6.11, but when I try to run it a splash screen pops up for a minute saying its
initializing devices then goes away and nothing more happens.
I searched the internet on this problem and found some real techie crap about json files and stuff I have no clue about.
I also downloaded Marlin from the link you provided and unzipped it and have no clue what to do with that even if Arduino worked, the last one I downloaded was simple I just copied the Sanguino folder into my Arduino hardware folder and all was good.
This stuff makes no sense to me, why does it have to be so difficult to do something simple, why can't I install Arduino and have it work, this software just seams so riddled with bugs.
It seams like every step I take forward I get pushed back ten!
Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2016 02:12AM by virgodave61.
August 21, 2016 03:44AM
I also had this issue

Load up the older version, go to tools, then board and than launch the boards manager

Wait for it to download its data, then change type to Updatable

Update all that can be updated

Also download the Sanguino files via this method, to ensure you have the latest see [dustsreprap.blogspot.co.nz]

then try again with the new ardunio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2016 03:47AM by Dust.
August 21, 2016 06:19AM
I don't understand I completely uninstalled the old one so do I need to have both installed to do this?
Dave
August 21, 2016 07:16AM
Until the boards have been updated you still need the old version.
August 22, 2016 01:28AM
Thanks again Dust!
Ok, now I have the new Arduino going. I loaded the new Marlin Arduino file, but when I look at the configuration file I see alot of stuff I'm not sure about, like my thermistor value, should I just upload it the way it is? My printer is a rerap pro Mendal with single extruder.
Dave
August 22, 2016 01:45AM
please watch [www.youtube.com] and related videos

Thomas Sanladerer's How to set up the Marlin firmware
August 24, 2016 02:18PM
The only way I can figure to do this is with the M501 command as not even RepRap knows what thermistor I have since they used so many different ones, but when I do it, it doesn't tell me what they are set to all it gives me is:

SENDING:M501
echoconfused smileytored settings retreived:
echoconfused smileyteps per unit:
echo: M92 X91.43 Y91.43 Z4000.00 E955.00
echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
echo: M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z3.40 E45.00
echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
echo: M201 X2500 Y2500 Z50 E2500
echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
echo: M204 S2000.00 T2000.00
echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum xY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s)
echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X15.00 Z0.40 E25.00
echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z-0.25
echotongue sticking out smileyID settings:
echo: M301 P10.00 I2.20 D80.00 W70
FPU Enabled no

According to the command manual its supposed to give me values for the thermistors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 02:19PM by virgodave61.
August 24, 2016 05:57PM
m501 has never returned thermistor values (on normal marlins that is)

from your old firmware get the value from the configuration.h file
August 24, 2016 08:36PM
How do I do that if there isn't a Gcode command for it?
I can read the old firmware, load it into Ardrino?
If I can do that why can't I just write it to the new one?
Thanks Dust

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 08:38PM by virgodave61.
August 24, 2016 08:57PM
You have to have access to the source code of the original firmware to get these details, you cant extract it form an existing firmware

You can only do binary copies and the source and destination boards must be %100 identical to copy form an old to a new board.

You can't extract the source code from a binary (for the pendants: without spending several months reverse engineering the code)

most older repraps are simply type 1 thermistor, so try that, does it read room temp? if so that's a good start.
September 08, 2016 04:41PM
Dust I hope your still around or I'm screwed on this forum.
I measured my thermistors at approx 25C the extruder was 100k and the bed was 10K and my pullup resistor is 4.7K.
When I look at the configuration file it says.

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_3 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 0

I believe the hotend would be set to 1 and the bed to 4.

I'm a programming beginner and don't understand why so many definitions are here?
It appears its creating definitions for five temp sensors?
What is the proper definition for 1 and 4?

Also my Arduino IDE software in the tools section, I'm not sure what to select under programmer, Im not using the Uno for firmware, so does this matter?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 04:47PM by virgodave61.
September 08, 2016 06:23PM
There are so many definitions as there are
a) so many different type of boards that are supported by marlin
b) so many different hardware options for the machines that the firmware needs to know about.

some systems for example have multiple hot ends and thermistor

"What is the proper definition for 1 and 4?"

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_3 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 4

re programmer, just ignore that section now.
September 08, 2016 09:02PM
Wow thanks Dust!
Dave
September 09, 2016 06:44AM
error!

pins_RAMPS.h:48: error: #error "Oops! Make sure you have 'Arduino Mega' selected from the 'Tools -> Boards' menu."

#error "Oops! Make sure you have 'Arduino Mega' selected from the 'Tools -> Boards' menu."

^

exit status 1
#error "Oops! Make sure you have 'Arduino Mega' selected from the 'Tools -> Boards' menu."

Sanguino was selected.

Why?

Dave
September 09, 2016 07:27AM
because you have set motherboard in your configuration.h to something with a mega 2560 processor... (a ramps by the look of it) update it with your motherboard type

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2016 07:36AM by Dust.
September 09, 2016 02:09PM
Please Dust I don't understand the board is set to Sanguino!
September 09, 2016 09:19PM
open up your configuration.h

find the line #define MOTHERBOARD

It should be #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_MELZI
September 10, 2016 12:10AM
Thanks Dust
I thought I did that but perhaps neglected to save my change.
But anyway it uploaded without errors, so I tried to connect with pronterface and it connected, but the part on the screen that you can use to move the steppers was missing, I'm using Ubuntu and did an upgrade since I last used the printer, also the LED on the Melzi isn't doing anything, so I used M106 to turn my fan on and it worked, then I tried G28 to home the motors the x axis went in the wrong direction, y went in the wrong direction and Z went in the right direction, but slammed into my limit switch and started pushing it down the rail, then I jumped up and pushed the reset button.
I'm trying to check the limit switch for the Z axis,it may have just been an issue with the switch or wire, but it messed things up pretty bad the screw came all the way out of the bracket.
I can try reversing the motors with the wiring.
My main concern is why is the area missing from my pronterface screen, when I get things straightened out I would like to use that to try things without doing all axis's at once.
Why no LED on Melzi? I know the LED is ok because I loaded a special version of blink, that actually blinked it.
Dave
September 10, 2016 01:34AM
you have to configure marlin to match you hardware (I'm guessing I3 type machine)

direction and homing settings are both change able in firmware

for homing you need to identify where you endstops are on your machine
on X if end stop is on the right its a max end stop on the left its a min end stop in configuration.h find #define X_HOME_DIR set to 1 for max end stop -1 for min end stop

on Y if end stop is on the front its a max end stop on the back its a min end stop in configuration.h find #define Y_HOME_DIR set to 1 for max end stop -1 for min end stop

on Z if end stop is on the top its a max end stop on the bottom its a min end stop in configuration.h find #define Z_HOME_DIR set to 1 for max end stop -1 for min end stop

now test your endstops work

with no endstops being hit send a M119 to the printer, it will report the status of the endstops
they should all be "open" or low (depending on firmware version)

manually hold down a endstop, send another M119, check that that endstop your pressed says "triggered" or high
repeat for all endstops. If they are backwards find the appropriate MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING and change it from true to false or false to true.
If they don’t change, we will dig into that later.

now test direction of movement

x+ should move the head right (if it doesn’t you need to find #define INVERT_X_DIR in configuration.h and change it, if its TRUE make it FALSE and if its FALSE make it TRUE)

y+ should move the bed forward (if it doesn’t you need to find #define INVERT_Y_DIR in configuration.h and change it, if its TRUE make it FALSE and if its FALSE make it TRUE)

z+ should move the head up (if it doesn’t you need to find #define INVERT_Z_DIR in configuration.h and change it, if its TRUE make it FALSE and if its FALSE make it TRUE)

Don't know what going on with your pronterface, works fine on my Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS 64bit. When did you update proterface last? Get the latest from [github.com]

as for the LED... well its a LED, I cant say I care tongue sticking out smiley (It probably only blinks when receiving data)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2016 01:35AM by Dust.
September 10, 2016 10:58AM
I've had the same pronterface for years and it always worked, its Python and it should execute the same always, ie it always worked and still should unless Python is messed up somehow, do to the upgrade, in my mind anyway. Maybe my thoughts are defective?
September 10, 2016 11:07PM
I went and downloaded a new version of pronterface and for some reason that one seams to work although I don't like it.
Its version Printrun 2015.03.10.
When it opens up on the far left the window for messages and entering gcode is really long and narrow can it be resized?
September 11, 2016 01:00PM
Yes it can. The main window can be resized and when you put your mouse on the left side of the log window, you can move it.
September 11, 2016 01:41PM
All main windows can be resized. I understand this I need to be able to see the message window, its to small/long and thin.
September 11, 2016 07:40PM
adjust the size of the grid in the center to be smaller, the message window will increase in size to fill the rest of the screen.
September 11, 2016 10:41PM
Wow perfect thanks Dust
September 15, 2016 07:59PM
Dust
Ok I followed the directions and have all axis's moving in the right direction, but when I tried to home the Y axis the bed would move in the wrong direction, even though it moved in the right direction when I moved it in the interface. My homes are all min's so I changed Y to max. and now when I click home nothing happens and when I try to move my bed forward it only goes half way and stops. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

Wow just tried it again and when I clicked Y home my Z axis moved up a little?
I changed Y back to min and the bed moves all the way (When I select home), forward after Z went up a little and the motor shuddered because the endstop wasn't in that direction.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2016 08:36PM by virgodave61.
September 15, 2016 09:49PM
check that your endstop actuality function with the m119 command

ie make sure no endstops are triggred
send a M119 to the printer, what does it say all endstops should say open.
hold down the Y endstop and send another M119 does Ymin now say triggered?
Check your Z and a X endstops as well.
September 16, 2016 04:05AM
I allready did that all are open and each triggers properly.
This isn't an endstop issue! Its moving in the wrong direction to reach the endstop. If I hit Y home the Z axis moves a little. Plus I can't move the bed all the way forward. Changeing between Y min and Y max doesn't fix it.
The other axis's work properly now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 04:07AM by virgodave61.
September 16, 2016 05:01AM
#define Y_HOME_DIR set to 1 for max end stop -1 for min end stop

This sets the direction the axis homes... If its going the wrong way when homing, change it to the other option.

as for movement limits

// Travel limits after homing (units are in mm)
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
This tells the machine its position when homed using min endstops. A lot of machines this should be a negative number so that when it moves to 0 its correct.

#define Y_MAX_POS 200
This defines the limit of travel

This all presumes that your steps/mm is correct, ie when you request it to move 10mm, it must move 10mm, other wise for eg you could ask it to move 200mm and it reality it only moves 70mm.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 05:19AM by Dust.
September 16, 2016 05:18AM
Ok I'll say it again using different words.

When I set Y_HOME_DIR one way it goes in the wrong direction, plus my z axis moves a little.
When I set Y_HOME_DIR the other way and click on home it won't move at all and the Z axis moves a little!
Why does Z move? My Melzi trash?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 06:54AM by virgodave61.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login