Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

acetone dip with abs question

Posted by bizit524 
acetone dip with abs question
July 20, 2016 03:22PM
i have a question about acetone dipping.
I see there are many ways to do this but not many explanations. There is acetone dipping, acetone vapor. one better than the other?
I have tried dipping my item for 30 seconds which produces a great result however after sitting for a long time parts of it become hazy/ white/opaque almost. I can't find any youtube videos on this sad smiley Has anybody else tried this?
I thought I'd try dipping the same part again and it just made it worse. So I thought Id try sanding off the finish and trying again, it made it EVEN WORSE.
I have tried multiple parts. I am actually printing small key-caps that I want a nice gloss on them which I could do epoxy that I have but I am terrible at putting it on and this gets a better thinner more even coat
Re: acetone dip with abs question
July 20, 2016 03:41PM
I have never heard of dipping the part into liquid acetone. Acetone will dissolve ABS and getting it wet will surely destroy all detail in the print and may turn the whole thing into a big gummy mess. The usual method is to expose a room temperature print to hot acetone vapor for a few seconds at a time, or to cold acetone vapor for much longer. I like the faster method- just heat acetone to 70C or so (it boils at about 60C) in a lightly closed container, then hang the print from a wire and dip it into the vapor for about 5 seconds and remove. The vapor will condense on the cool print and start dissolving the surface, and will quickly evaporate leaving behind a shiny print surface. Wait a minute or two for the acetone to evaporate and if you're not satisfied with the smoothness/shininess, repeat the process.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 20, 2016 03:49PM
What the dentist said. Dipping in liquid aceton is a bad idea, the acteon will seep into the object and dissolve and soften it way more than you want.
Hot vapor is from my experience the best controllable option.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
July 20, 2016 03:50PM
Another option is to use an acetone wipe. Just put a small amount of acetone on a paper towel or microfiber cloth to make the wipe.

30 seconds seems like a really long time for a dip. Try just in and out.
July 20, 2016 04:19PM
If you want to apply aceton directly do it sparsely and with a brush. When dipping the slightes gap in a print can lead to it beeing filled with a bit of aceton that will dissolve it from the inside out.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
July 20, 2016 04:39PM
I've filled one of these with acetone and used it to smooth the surface, it's also great for cleaning the PrintBite surface.

MOLOTOW 612EM - EMPTY MARKER PEN - 30MM NIB - REFILLABLE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311645984885

I have a few of these with different nib sizes and I think that you can get different nib shapes too.

Paul
July 20, 2016 08:22PM
I've used this cold vapor method with favorable results. It may use a little more
acetone but its a whole lot safer than heating up a flammable liquid.

cold vapor method
July 21, 2016 05:48AM
so what i ended up doing is dipping it for 20 sec then let that dry. it then has a white layer on it, put it in a cup propped abve the acetone and set it on top of my heated bed on for 3 min. it got rid of the white layer permanently.

I tried just the vapor without dip it works just much slower had to leave it in there for an hour. not to concerned about details on these models because its only cherry mx blue keycaps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login