Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

e3d clone?

Posted by The Borg 
e3d clone?
July 18, 2016 08:29PM
so something a little strange and i wanted to see if it is broke or normal. On a e3d v6, when you screw the heatblock/nossel/throat into the cold end, i assumed once screwed all the way in, that i would feel 'resistance' and it would stop.

instead, it just keeps turning like its stripped out. So part of me thinks its broken, but then another part of me thinks, maybe its supposed to turn so it puts less stress on the cables going to the heatblock? so i thought i would ask.

i also kinda got screwed because i asked the seller before i bought it if he could switch it to 24v, he said no problem put it in the notes.....then it arrives with a note saying sorry......lol. and i know he had spare 24v's laying around because they are listed for sale
Re: e3d clone?
July 18, 2016 09:41PM
It is sad to see yet another person falling victim to the E3D clones, just give them a bad review and buy a genuine E3D V6.

the transition zone piece should not be spinning in the heat brake (Edited). Good luck getting it to extrude more that 10m of filament without a jam...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 10:21AM by Trexation.
July 19, 2016 02:47AM
got a vernier caliper measure inside the cold end against heatbreak, does the cold end screw all the way down to the heater block? yea its odd it keeps spinning?

"maybe its supposed to turn so it puts less stress on the cables going to the heat block" no its supposed to be solid/rigid once it all screwed together.

Good luck getting it to extrude more that 10m of filament without a jam
think what trex is trying to say if you have an all metal heatbreak you gonna have trouble extruding as those heatbreak on the clones dont have the polished finish required to prevent the filament sticking to the walls of the Heatbreak.

the transition zone piece should not be spinning in the heat sink
when has the melt zone ever been in the cold end

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 02:50AM by jinx.
July 19, 2016 04:18AM
E3d clones are cheap (or they should be) you have to bank on buying a few to make one good one, and even then with a fair amount of polishing involved. E3d have addressed this with the lite6 its not that much more expensive than buying a couple of clones, it has quick delivery, and it works. I started out using clones and now I'd only buy genuine - they do work better.

Edit - that being said I just bought a clone of the volcano, to try out the idea of printing with large nozzles. I did try a 0.8mm on my v5 but it can't melt the filament quick enough so you have to print very slowly which defeats the object of printing with a large nozzle. If it works and I can make use of it but it proves unreliable, I will buy one from E3D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 05:42AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
July 20, 2016 03:57PM
Just got the volcano (clone), and when switching from an e3d v5 to a volcano the length of the complete hot end assembly is the same. Very satisfying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2016 03:58PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
July 21, 2016 02:25AM
for the price I paid for a volcano set up am happy with it preformed well with PLA, I like the top finish it leaves.

made a shroud for it that uses 30 mm fans [www.thingiverse.com]
July 21, 2016 03:49AM
That looks good might try it.

EDIT - whilst I've been converted to genuine E3D products, that volcano clone from big tree tech on aliexpress is the best clone hot end I've used so far. Won't stop me buying an E3D now I've had chance to try the concept out for $10, I'll buy the real thing as it will be more reliable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2016 06:57PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

July 27, 2016 05:08PM
jinx
for the price I paid for a volcano set up am happy with it preformed well with PLA, I like the top finish it leaves.

made a shroud for it that uses 30 mm fans [www.thingiverse.com]

Liked this design so remixed one like it for the v6.

[www.thingiverse.com]

Simon Khoury

July 28, 2016 05:38AM

nice and compact just dont like the use of zip ties for few extra mm added a bolt
July 28, 2016 05:46AM
Have you got an stl of that version it looks great. One thing I wanted to do (and I am sure you can do much more quickly than me) is make the mounting surface of the hot end fan flush with the part cooling fans for easy printing. I am surprised there are not more solutions like the one you made for the volcano out there.

Simon Khoury

July 28, 2016 06:35AM
July 28, 2016 06:39AM
That's awesome I think I'll redirect from my listing to this one.

Simon Khoury

July 28, 2016 06:50AM
Have either of you printed and tested any of those fan housings? Axial fans don't work at all if there's any back pressure, and tapering down to a small nozzle will definitely create back pressure. I would be surprised if any air comes out of the nozzles.

This is why I don't DL files from Thingiverse pages that have no photos of working, printed models...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2016 06:52AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 28, 2016 07:14AM
using similar design [www.youtube.com] " hit the sound volume ! . get air out the nozzles, 30 mm fans not exactly blasting air through, but its constant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2016 07:19AM by jinx.
July 29, 2016 06:15PM
the_digital_dentist
This is why I don't DL files from Thingiverse pages that have no photos of working, printed models...

My listing here has a photo of the part on my printer right now.

I was dubious myself, when I first saw these very slimline designs that there would be poor air flow, but don't believe everything you read - plenty of air comes out winking smiley

Simon Khoury

August 10, 2016 05:49PM
I wanted to make one for the volcano but with the super slimline concept in mind, so I remixed yours Jinx. I went back to the cable ties as I have almost no space behind my heatsink the way it is mounted to the printer so your bolts would not fit.

Amazingly I repaired an error in the file using the winodws 10 built in 3d object program and it did a better job of it than I could manage in meshmixer. So not often I say this but +1 for windows.
I will leave uploading it to thingiverse until I've printed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2016 05:50PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Attachments:
open | download - super compact e3d volcano twin 30mm fan shroud repaired windows.stl (130.2 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login