Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Temperature problem

Posted by adamcutler23 
Temperature problem
July 15, 2016 09:25AM
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone could help with an issue I have. I have a HicTop Prusa I3 and I recently had a print stop for no apparent reason. Since then, I cannot control the temperature of the hotend. When I turn the machine on, ie plug it in, the hotend heats up uncontrollably. Everything else seems to be working fine, but I checked the firmware, new heating element, thermister, all to no effect. Has this happened to anyone else?
Re: Temperature problem
July 16, 2016 09:00AM
Accidental Duplicate Post..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2016 09:01AM by Trexation.
July 16, 2016 09:00AM
1. Have you seen the magic smoke from your ramps board? It could be that the mosfet is broken
2. The thermistor could be disconnected; make sure that it reads about 100k ohms at ambient from plug to plug.
3. Does it just start heating up when you apply 12v power, or does it heat up uncontrollably when you tell it to reach a certain temperature?
July 16, 2016 02:42PM
As soon as it gets power the hotend heats up, ignoring any temperature I set it to. There was no smoke that I saw. The thermometer works fine also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2016 02:43PM by adamcutler23.
July 16, 2016 04:19PM
From what I read thats the mosfet gone, it's internally shorted and just supplying 12v to the bed whenever powered. You can replace them with better ones search the forums there are recommendations. I'd say best once this is done to consider using a relay - either mechanical (use bang-bang control) or SSR (use PID) to control the bed in future. The two real points of failure on ramps/mega are the regulator on the mega, and the high current involved in making a heated bed work properly.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
July 18, 2016 09:33PM
Thank you for the reply. Is the mosfet something that can be replaced, or do I just get a new board?
July 19, 2016 03:54AM
This thread has a few alternatives [forums.reprap.org]

I bought some IRL3803 intending to swap them over but didn't need to as I offloaded the high current switching to a relay as outlined above (which I really recommend - the heated bed current through the ramps board is the no. 1 point of failure/danger). By all means replace the mosfet, its only pennies and three blobs of solder (not surface mount thankfully). But a clone ramps board is cheap, and time is money blah blah.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
July 20, 2016 01:23AM
I have the same problem with my RAMPS 1.4 board( bought from sainsmart), Can we use the D9 port for hot end instead of the D10 port? If so, how? I use marlin firmware.
Thanks in advance.
July 20, 2016 04:48AM
Yes you can change the pins.h file. Depending on the marlin version it's either one file with a huge long list of boards. Find ramps 14 efb and find pin 10 change it to pin 9. If using an RC version then there is a ramps 14 efb file separate make the same change.

Since pin 9 is set to fan maybe reassign fan to pin 10.

What Im wondering is what this is going to do for you? Unless it's just to get going again after killing a mosfet. They're the same mosfets it'll happen again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2016 04:52AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

July 20, 2016 10:12AM
The idea I had in mind is that since the MOSFET for the D9 port will be fine , i could use it for my hot end instead of replacing the MOSFET for D10 , correct me if i am wrong.
Is there any source where I can learn the working of RAMPS board
July 20, 2016 10:32AM
Loads of sources. [reprap.org]

Though if your hot end damaged the d10 mosfet then it'll do the same to the d9 mosfet unless you just got an unlucky duff one on d10. Maybe put heatsinks on them and make sure a fan is positioned over the mosfets and on whenever the heaters are heating, or all the time.

It's a bit of a lottery with ramps boards I've had 4 only one had a fault which was uncut traces across the microstepping jumpers so it was locked to 1/16.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2016 10:38AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login