Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA vs. health - how it's dyed?

Posted by c1480372 
PLA vs. health - how it's dyed?
May 18, 2016 04:35AM
Hi.

That may be a strange question, but my wife is forcing me to gather all the health-related info smiling smiley

I've heard PLA fumes are not dangerous for your health. I'm talking about a couple of hours of printing per day, usually in small, closed room with a window slightly open.
Anyway, how about different colors of PLA? What ingredients are used to dye that filament? Can they be dangerous?
VDX
Re: PLA vs. health - how it's dyed?
May 18, 2016 04:40AM
... the ingredients are "business secrets" -- so only the manufacturer knows ... if he cares eye rolling smiley

Especially with cheap filaments (mostly from China, but not only there) the chance of getting some harmfull mixtures is real.

So better vent/exhaust the building volume out of the next window ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 18, 2016 09:02AM
I cannot say you've made my day with this answer... smiling smiley

I'll wait, maybe there's someone close to manufacturer, willing to share some knowledge? My preferred answer is "we use beets, oranges and bananas" or something similar...
May 18, 2016 11:55AM
Ask for a MSDS. They should have no problem providing one.
VDX
May 18, 2016 12:02PM
... do you really think, the guys, selling you cheap filament, will give you a correct MSDS eye popping smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 18, 2016 12:04PM
You will almost certainly not have anyone tell you that the colorants are made from beets, oranges or bananas. Colorants are selected based on cost and compatibility with the underlying resin. Some colors don't work well with some resin types. If colorants concern you that greatly get some "natural" or otherwise unpigmented plastics. There's still nothing to definitively tell you that the underlying resin is free of any toxins either.
PRZ
May 18, 2016 06:28PM
In Europe, supplying a MSDS on demand is compulsory. This shall take into account the dye.
Not doing so is unlegal and I think most filament sellers are way outside legality, not only for not supplying the MSDS, but also because using toxic additive, notably for dark colors.

Have a look at this particular post (and subsequent ones):
[groups.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2016 06:34PM by PRZ.

Pierre

- Safety [reprap.org]
- Embedded help system for Duet and RepRap Firmware [forums.reprap.org]
- Enclosed delta printers Lily [rouzeau.net] and Lily Big [rouzeau.net]
- OpenScad delta printer simulator [github.com]
- 3D printing on my site [www.rouzeau.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login