Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does heatblock size matter?

Posted by makerbro88 
Does heatblock size matter?
May 18, 2016 02:41AM
Hey fellow reprapers,
I have a question , for which i did not find useful information.
I learned a lot of stuff by investigating this forum and various other websites.
And i have build my own prusa i3. Mostly really cheap chinese stuff smiling smiley Maybe a set from china might have been better, ...
but too late >)
And here is my question now:
How does the size of a heatblock affect the print quality / heating time / heat variations ?
I got my E3D clone which is quite good, with a rather "big" heat block. But after ordering some spare heat blocks ( for when i clog one or have to clean it) ,
i received a little tiny one, where the heat cartridge sticks out in the back.
And another one where the screw mechanism is somewhat better, but still a small aluminium block.
I figured the standard cheap stuff from aliexpress and co is around 15*15*10mm in dimensions.
and then there is 20*20*10mm and so on.
Can you say : the bigger the better ? how can i distinguish good from crap ones?
And how can i stop the oozing of filament from the top of the heat block , even though i tightened the nozzle and heatbreak?

Some ideas or experience appreciated.
VDX
Re: Does heatblock size matter?
May 18, 2016 04:33AM
... it's not only the size what matters ...

Count in thermal conductivity (material), surface structure or thermal shielding, heaters energy and head geometry, and some other parameters more.

In short - a bigger heater block needs more time to receive the target temperature, but has lower thermal fluctuations too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 18, 2016 07:44AM
Heat the heatblock to the maximum temperature it can tolerate and then retighten the nozzle. That will give a better seal at operating temperature.
If it still oozes then buy a better one at [e3d-online.com]
May 18, 2016 10:13AM
Second that about tightening it hot. Also make sure the nozzle and throat end surfaces are smooth and flat, a little cleaning/sanding with fine wet and dry paper might help.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
May 19, 2016 03:29AM
Oh , thanks for the tipps.
Never thought about , how flush the throat end surfaces might be.
I will check that and sand them down smiling smiley

As price was a major point when i started to build my printer (thight budget as a college student)
i always went the route of taking compromises ( is that the right word in endlish?) and do some tweaks and improvements by myself.
I think i even spent more time tinkering with the machine itself, than actually printing stuff smiling smiley
May 19, 2016 03:54AM
3d printing has a cost, you either spend money or time. smiling smiley

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
May 19, 2016 01:55PM
Yes, the size of the heater block matters.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login