Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer pauses during print

Posted by icefire 
Printer pauses during print
April 27, 2016 04:49PM
So after doing a couple of large prints (9-10 hours of printing) the printer started pausing mid print. I start the print and after some time the printer just stops, waits like 5 seconds and then resumes. Tried with different slicers and host programs - same thing. Tried printing directly from SD card and the printer restarted itself mid print so there was no way to resume the print, which ruined it (happened 40 min after starting). Don't know if this is related to the pause issue, could be a problem with the SD card for example.

After that I tried to print from the host program, but the printer could't even print the skirt without pausing every 3 sec for about 5 sec.

What could it be? My printer drivers are actively cooled with a 90mm fan.

Self-sourced Mendelmax 2.0-based Reprap Machine -- Ramps 1.4 & Mega 2560 -- DRV8825 (Z@1A, [email protected], [email protected], E@1A) -- genuine E3D v6 direct setup -- 350W custom silicone heated bed -- ABS 1,75mm -- Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 -- Cura 15.04.6
Re: Printer pauses during print
April 27, 2016 05:29PM
Pausing:
- Could be due to pauses caused by the operating system if it's Windows.
- Could be a bad clone Arduino controller
- Could be bad firmware - try a different kind.
- Could be issue with running a graphic display with an 8-bit controller - depending on steps per second - but those would only be micro-pauses.
- Definitely print from SD instead of USB - eliminates a major source of issues. Use a high quality SD card.

Resets - could be some of the obove, or:
- Could be from bad cable management - interference.
- Make sure everything is properly grounded.

Note that DRV8825 sometimes have issues with lost steps, see #26 here - just FYI.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
Re: Printer pauses during print
April 28, 2016 07:07AM
Thanks! I havn't touched the wires - cable management is unchanged and a few months ago I could do longer prints with no such issue.

I am going to try a different sd card tonight. I wouldn't suspect the drv8825 as well - if they were skipping microsteps I would have experienced layer shifting and not a full stop of the machine.

It is funny that the problem gets worse - at first it was just a few pauses when doing a 12h print job. Now the printer pauses like every 5 seconds.

I'd try first with a new sd card, then with a new firmware (the problem didn't come after upgrading the firmware though) then with a new arduino board.

If the arduino is faulty maybe now is the right time to upgrade to 32 bit electronics...

Self-sourced Mendelmax 2.0-based Reprap Machine -- Ramps 1.4 & Mega 2560 -- DRV8825 (Z@1A, [email protected], [email protected], E@1A) -- genuine E3D v6 direct setup -- 350W custom silicone heated bed -- ABS 1,75mm -- Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 -- Cura 15.04.6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login