Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Plotting instructions on the wiki

Posted by oangelo 
Plotting instructions on the wiki
March 17, 2016 08:59PM
I am very new in this 3D printer world. I have just made one Prusa i3 Rework. Then I was trying to plot things, I would like to print pcbs. The first place I got was at the wiki page for plotting (http://reprap.org/wiki/Plotting). I had a very hard time trying to follow the instructions there, I think the instructions are outdated, and most the softwares advised over there are abandoned. Now I am able to plot with my printer, after spending many hours, using modern tools. Using [svg2stl.com], slic3r, repetier. I think the page [reprap.org] should be actualized, but I don't know from where to start. How should I proceed, with whom should I talk?
Re: Plotting instructions on the wiki
March 17, 2016 10:10PM
March 17, 2016 10:50PM
I saw the PCB_Milling page. But it was not of much help either. The problem is that the gcode generated by most of the proposed softwares there are for real CNC machines, and not for Repraps. I didn't want to change my firmware to use CNC programs, and actually there is no need of it. I think, since there are better options, those pages should be actualized.
March 17, 2016 11:32PM
Hi oangelo,

It would be great if you were to update those pages on the wiki.

If you would like to get a wiki account so you can edit the wiki, please see the instructions here: Help getting new Wiki accounts
VDX
March 18, 2016 04:28AM
... have you seen this thread? - [forums.reprap.org]

Actally I'm developing another application for paste-dispensing based on Pronterface to read Gerber- or HPGL-files, generating "RepRap-style" G-codes from this files and printing them with a piezo-driven inkjet-pastedispenser. The modified Pronterface ist still Open-Source, but the importer/converter-plugins are not.

The driving scheme is the same for my lasermodules or engravers, so I can switch the dispenser head for a laser or milling spindle and engrave a PCB ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 18, 2016 11:46AM
Very interesting VDX, congrats!
I would like to do something similar, but I am too afraid, the safe issues are very great.
Maybe you should write a wiki page about this, giving safety instructions and everything else.
Another thing, which software tools are you using? Are you using a typical Reprap firmware or a CNC firmware? I had some troubles using gcode for CNC with Reprap software like Pronterface. But I am very new to all this, I don't know if was my fault.
March 18, 2016 03:51PM
I have added a new section there on the WIKI on how to plot using Slic3r. But I feel that most of the instructions there are still misleading, because they recommend ancient software that are not been maintained, like Skeinforge, RepRap host. Beyond that, many instructions are about PCBs, but there is already the PCB Milling page with lots of information about PCBs. What to do? Can you guys take a look over there and advise?
VDX
March 18, 2016 06:37PM
... here's an old laser-wiki from me - [www.reprap.org]

For designing the PCB's I'm using the free version of Target (http://ibfriedrich.com/index.htm) - I'm mostly milling, drilling or laser-engraving on CNC-mills with proprietary software around Isel-drivers and tools ... worked with and for the company, so some old gear around ...

With the paste-dispensing I've restarted with applying/modifiyng Pronterface and writing tools for it, so actually it's nearly the same toolchain for me with Pronterface and Marlin4Due as firmware too, so could do any of the milling jobs with Pronterface.

We've actually focussed on the paste-dispensing applications, but will restart with more 3D-printing related development soon ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login