Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windows 10 is not suited for 3D printers ?

Posted by amigob 
Re: Windows 10 is not suited for 3D printers ?
March 19, 2016 12:44PM
DjDemonD
Yeah it's one thing to dissuade people from buying non-genuine but it is malicious property damage to disable a device even if it is a copy of your design.

Yeap. It is not your property to damage. In the case of DirectTV, the access cards are technically property of DirectTV. But it was argued that while it was in the possession of the subscriber, it was like renting a home. While the owner still owns the house, they are not free to come in at any time and destroy it.
March 19, 2016 12:54PM
True but a non genuine arduino is not the property of fdti.
March 19, 2016 12:55PM
dont use win10 i try it ramps 1.4 some times switches form com 1 to 5 some times not even abel to find my ramps com port starting install new drivers for new hardware

realy not stable atm
March 19, 2016 12:58PM
Well I've had no problems with using it to calibrate and test a printer or run a short print but disable windows update service just re-enable it occasionally.
April 06, 2016 03:28PM
Funnily enough, a Windows Update saved my bacon a couple of years ago. I'd left my printer running over night and the filament became tangled on the reel. This caused my printer to climb up the filament. My PC did an update and rebooted which stopped the print. When I came down the following morning, my printer had stopped an inch from the top and was hanging 3 feet of the table. Had Windows not updated that night, the filament would have probably snapped and dropped the printer onto the ceramic tile on which it sits. This would have probable bent the bars and broken the plastic parts holding it together. Thank you Bill for resetting my PC that night.

I've got into the habit of printing from SD card now.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
April 07, 2016 03:41AM
> Well I've had no problems with using it to calibrate and test a printer or run a short print but disable windows update service just re-enable it occasionally.

You can't disable windows 10 update, A good Idea from MS. :-(

P3steel DXL, with Due/RADDS/Raps128 dual Wade's extruder
April 07, 2016 03:50AM
Yes you can, you need to disable the actual service running in the background. There is an article here:

[www.thewindowsclub.com]
April 07, 2016 08:23AM
:-) that is not switching it off, that is stopping a service.

April 07, 2016 09:28AM
Frankly that's pedantic if you want something turned off you turn it off. Sure you might be more comfortable with a nice button in control panel but shutting off a service gives you same result.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2016 09:29AM by DjDemonD.
April 28, 2016 07:45AM
windows 10 also not suitable for TV weather forecast.

look here

Microsoft really should change this. you are doing a full screen presentation and Microsoft finds it a good
idea to start annoying them with the update.

I am going to switch to Linux, to run the Repetier server. Then you can connect the Repetier host on a windows system to the server
And the server runs the printing process then, not the host. So you can disconnect the host and the print still finishes. You can also reconnect again, or look at the status via port 3344.

April 28, 2016 09:10AM
Maybe it just requires more advanced user experience? I have had no problems with Windows 10 on any of my boxes. (I am the network admin for a Win 10 and Linux network)

All lot of the settings you mention do exist. They just aren't organized in a pretty menu with big buttons. You could either disable the service, play with the registry editor, or explore the many uses of group policy. MicroSoft gives you plenty of options, you just have to go find them.

Switching to Linux isn't going to save you any headaches either. Linux requires more customization just before it becomes secure and usable.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2016 09:12AM by MrBaz.
April 28, 2016 09:47AM
> Switching to Linux isn't going to save you any headaches either. Linux requires more customization just before it becomes secure

By default Ubuntu is setup correctly to have safely access to the internet, nor will it automatically update and reboot the system when it wants, out of the box, so I don't agree with this statement. Are you running any Linux distributions your self ?
Completely switching of the service is bad, you don't get any message any more that there are updates. Windows does a lot of things good but this update policy sucks badly, and as you see, it even is not made to do presentations any more. You don't want to be bordered by a stupid popup when you are doing a weather forecast or presentation for a big crowd or doing a 3D print. For a lot of thinks I think linux should look how MS does it, but the update policies it is the other way around.

I have now 1 of my 5 systems on windows 10, 2 at 8.1, 2 at 7, but I will not switch any of the others, and I also already decided to switch from Window Phone back to Android, Microsoft lost there way.

April 28, 2016 10:15PM
The solution is simple remove the scheduled restart option and turn on notify when ready to reboot(and yes auto updates are turned on since i'm on pro its an option), and it wont reboot until you click yes.

I have done 24hr and 48hr prints using windows 10 with no issues and it wanting to update in the middle. do the defaults make it stable for long term prints? no, but its easy enough to change that.

The same thing happened from Windows 7 onward if you didn't change the options at install or 1st boot on prebuilt systems or later after install. The default in Windows 7 was auto install, auto reboot with a schedule.

Only difference in windows 10, you cant choose to just check for updates and notify you if there are any then decide to install or not and it doesn't ask for options at install or 1st boot. Windows 10 auto installs what it can without reboot, then, if set right, asks to reboot for the updates that need it, it also doesn't give a choice on critical security updates, but really that's a good thing.

I can't remember, off-hand if on my windows 10 tablet which is not pro if i changed that option in the gui or just typed in to either a command prompt or power shell, Since windows update options can also be scripted with either a power shell script or command prompt batch file. This is true with almost any option in windows, ex.. screen saver, power profiles, hibernation(which nice as you can turn it off on a desktop the tell it to delete the hiberfil.sys which is usually 3gb of wasted space) , even themes, just to name a few.

sometime soon when i finish my 2nd printer ill be using octopi so this wont matter anyway, but never had an issue with it as is.

also if your curious their are hidden options which has around since NT to make where apps cant steal focus so no popups from any app ever. you can also set a 2nd virtual desktop that does not have a task bar so it'll pop up on the other desktop your not viewing if you don't want to change that option. Virtual desktops are built in to windows 10.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2016 10:27PM by araxian.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login