Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Servo Motor on Marlin

Posted by makerparts 
Servo Motor on Marlin
February 21, 2016 04:59PM
Curious if its possible to run Servo motors instead of Steppers with Marlin on a 3D printer.
using a Rambo control board or something else similar.

I realize that it may be a pointless idea. but im just curious if you wanted to do it. what you would need to do

These Teknic Clearpath Nema 23 sized servos seem perfect.

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
we are proud to be an official Openbuilds distributor.
Re: Servo Motor on Marlin
February 21, 2016 10:49PM
Marlin does not support servo motors. It wouldn't be that hard to implement, except for the fact that there's no hardware for reading 4 or 5 encoders.
VDX
February 22, 2016 02:44AM
... I'm using UHU servo drivers on my lasercutter - this drivers are controlled like steppers with STEP+DIR only and handles the encoder on their own.

They runs happy with 48 Volts and up to 150mm/s, but can be upped to 150 Volts max. with up to 450mm/s -- but then the machine with roughly 80kg weight has to be clamped to the table. or it will jump off eye popping smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 22, 2016 08:54AM
Yes since the servo handles the encoder. seems like perhaps marlin wouldnt know any different from a stepper
you can assign the servo a predetermined step amount , using servo firmware

but how would you connect the servo to the actual arduino board.. stepper has a 4 wire connection. not sure if servo is the same.

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
VDX
February 22, 2016 09:19AM
... the stepper-driver too has only two pins STEP+DIR (you can skip ENABLE), so simply wire the two pins together with GND (and maybe +5V for optocouplers) to the corresponding pins on the servo driver.

It's in fact simply exchanging the stepper driver for an appropriate servo driver ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

February 22, 2016 11:38AM
So you can just plug it into the same port on a Rambo? as the stepper does?

Makerparts.ca
VDX
February 22, 2016 12:42PM
... you have to find the corect pins from the controller -- I did this for RAMPS or RADDS shields with "pololu-replacement"-sockets, connecting the 3 pins STEP, DIR, GND ... but sometimes too with a 'blank' ArduinoMega-shield only, when there's no need for the other parts on a RAMPS or RADDS.

For my old CNC this are the wires to 3 of the Pololu-sockets and to the min-endstop-pins - so (with common GND) minimum 10 pins needed ...

Viktor
--------

August 06, 2017 01:52PM
VDX
... you have to find the corect pins from the controller -- I did this for RAMPS or RADDS shields with "pololu-replacement"-sockets, connecting the 3 pins STEP, DIR, GND ... but sometimes too with a 'blank' ArduinoMega-shield only, when there's no need for the other parts on a RAMPS or RADDS.

For my old CNC this are the wires to 3 of the Pololu-sockets and to the min-endstop-pins - so (with common GND) minimum 10 pins needed ...
hi can you share the wiring schema? looking to the clearpath's manual is not clear enough for me... pleeeeeease grinning smiley
VDX
August 06, 2017 07:42PM
... look here - I've simply made three "plugs", that wired the signals "STP", "DIR", and "GND" from each of the X/Y/Z-sockets to the corresponding inputs of the servo-drivers:

[www.dr-henschke.de]

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login