Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

247prints.org... legit or not?

Posted by frankvdh 
247prints.org... legit or not?
February 17, 2016 04:10PM
On another forum, I've seen reference to [www.247prints.org] selling 1lb spools of ABS & PLA for $5.

They also have an ad on CraigsList at [sfbay.craigslist.org]

Has anyone here dealt with them?

To me, it sounds too good to be true. Almost universally, PLA and ABS is sold in 1kg rolls. The few suppliers selling 1lb quantities seem to sell them at premium prices. Yet here is someone selling this small, unusual quantity at much less than the price of standard quantities. No physical address, no phone number, and poor quality website are further red flags. I also used [www.ip-tracker.org] to do a DNS lookup... the site was only created 11 Feb at GoDaddy.com (well-known as a host for scams and fly-by-nights), and they've gone out of their way to hide who owns that domain.

NB: This is different from 247Prints.com, which does have some history but no longer exists.

Frank
Re: 247prints.org... legit or not?
February 17, 2016 04:30PM
I think that you have answered your own question. I use Foxsmart. $16.00 - $18.00 per kilo and $4.00 shipping for 1 roll or 10 rolls. Excellent diameter consistancy.
February 18, 2016 02:16PM
The guy at the other forum reports receiving his filament. So I guess it is legit, and therefore a great deal.
February 18, 2016 03:07PM
How trustworthy is this other person? Have they been in the forums for awhile?
February 12, 2017 12:26PM
I found Tony from 247prints.org well over a year ago, when he first opened up his website and he offered to send me some samples to test out and review. It was absolutely great filament at an even better price. Previously, I would only use hatchbox and that was a strict rule seeing as how I am well aware of what junk filament can do to a printer, but Tony's filament was top notch and he ended up being my #1 supplier for 4-6 months.

Unfortunately, I'm finding out today that the site is no longer up. He couldn't have been making much at all and he probably got sick of it. Not to mention, he's very active in the facebook groups and people would always be hounding him for free stuff. I'd probably get sick of that too, I can't imagine he was making any profit with his prices, he's a maker and not so much a businessman. I think he just wanted to offer the community great deals on great filament and wasn't ready for the amount of people asking him to "hook it up" and then ridiculing him when he didn't send out samples.

Tony's a great guy and he would always include free samples once I was ordering from him regularly. Free samples are great, but I don't believe in "asking" for them. It's too bad that the site is down down, I'll have to log on to the old facebook and ask him what happened, that's the only way I know of to directly get a hold of him.

I'm not sure what happened, but I'd have to imagine with his prices on top notch filament that printed awesome, he wasn't making much money at all, and that's going to get old after a while. If I find out what he's up to now and if he's still selling filament anywhere, I'll come back to this thread with an update. But as of now, I came across this thread while searching myself and realized all his links are down. It was a GREAT deal while it lasted, that's for sure. I'm pretty bummed out myself.

Here's a pic of some prints with 247prints.org filament....
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1278.jpg (119.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login