Upgrading hot end

Posted by DaGameFace 
Upgrading hot end
February 03, 2016 05:09PM
What I have:
[www.amazon.com]

Can mount this J Head hot end to it?
[www.amazon.com]

Currently my hot end attaches to the cold end with threaded rod by that j head doesn't seem to have thread at the top.
Re: Upgrading hot end
February 03, 2016 07:06PM
Nope doesnt look like it. Looks like a cheap E3D knock off. Good luck with that...
February 03, 2016 11:51PM
That is not a J-Head. It is an e3d knock-off where they stole the J-Head name.

This is a J-head ----> [reprap.org]

Good luck with the knock-off hot-end. Not all knock-offs work and supporting the "cloners" puts the original developers out of business.
February 04, 2016 05:55AM

"cloners" puts the original developers out of business.
I agree in parts but the current generation of developers took their inspiration from earlier designs where the original creators never really saw the financial gains like the startups of todays. The price of the current genuine hotends are way over priced on average $70 no matter who from its becoming disproportional cost to a reprap and hotends shouldn't be costing more than a set of steppers.

what's worrying is the attitudes of some older reprappers and new.. towards new comers, and comments like

Good luck with the knock-off hot-end. Not all knock-offs work and supporting the "cloners" puts the original developers out of business.
true but it aint friendly.

Nope doesnt look like it. Looks like a cheap E3D knock off. Good luck with that.
so what you saying floyd you'll not advise but criticise because someone used a clone " and here me thinking Reprap was here to promote home 3D printing and not monuments to capitalism
and what of the folks that cant afford the $50-$70 on top of everything else " they shouldn't build.

we can all agree to disagree on the rights and wrongs of Chinese mass production of opensource. BUT I don't agree with it being taken out on new comers. if anything they should be encouraged to get it set up then decide if they like 3D printing then maybe there next upgrade will be a genuine upgrade for that polished heatbreak.

Jinx steps of his box.

Dagameface
That hot will not fit that extruder "folks need to know little more which printer you have you gonna need to print an extruder and possible a carriage.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 09:18AM by jinx.
February 04, 2016 01:34PM
jinx
so what you saying floyd you'll not advise but criticise because someone used a clone " and here me thinking Reprap was here to promote home 3D printing and not monuments to capitalism
and what of the folks that cant afford the $50-$70 on top of everything else " they shouldn't build.

I did advise, I told him I didnt think it would work. They are totally different.
Also I also just stated "Good luck with that" because I see too many people buying these cheap ones and having nothing but issues. Others that bought the true units dont have issues.

Reprap printers are cheap. They are normally bodged together and barely work but they are printers none the less. I just dont like condemning people into buying the cheaper stuff and struggling with it. The hot end is the heart of the machine, its the one thing I wouldnt cheap out on.

Again, to "DaGameFace" no it will not work.
February 04, 2016 02:31PM
Floyd
The hot end is the heart of the machine, its the one thing I wouldn't cheap out on.
yea second that and if you gotta save that extra month or two, it's money well invested . thou I feel cheap hotends from the east is here to stay, " they gotta do something with all the recycled pop cans".
February 04, 2016 03:22PM
Floyd
jinx

I did advise, I told him I didnt think it would work. They are totally different.
Also I also just stated "Good luck with that" because I see too many people buying these cheap ones and having nothing but issues. Others that bought the true units dont have issues.

Floyd
Reprap printers are cheap. They are normally bodged together and barely work but they are printers none the less. I just dont like condemning people into buying the cheaper stuff and struggling with it. The hot end is the heart of the machine, its the one thing I wouldnt cheap out on.

Again, to "DaGameFace" no it will not work.

That's Harsh!! Saying that "RepRap Printers are cheap and normally bodged together" It's what started the whole 3d printing thing off. What printer do you use?

You see My RepRap Ormerod 2 was built from a hardware kit from RRPro with printed parts printed from another prusa mendel. It was cheap for me to buy the hardware parts as didn't have the funds for a pre-built one. You can see where the cost cutting was done using threaded rod for the z-axis and laser-cut acrylic for the x-rib and the MDF board for the printer's bed; Now some of those parts were upgraded into version 2 and I was aware that the Ormerod 1 had issues. With my ormerod 2 I have put in a lot of hours to get good prints from it and upgrade parts to better ones. It still has issues and sometime throws out a bad print but it's my printer, I built it and own it.

Yes the parts are cheap but the printers produced from those parts by their owners help shape the future of 3Dprinting. I mean take a look main stream printer manufacturers and think "hang on that's based upon a....RepRap."

So "Floyd" you might not think that "DaGameFace" hot end will have issues or won't fit but I sure he is willing or able to make it fit and work.

To make my point Tell the MD of MakerBot that you wish to use non-standard filament in their machine, they walk away. Tell them that their smart extruder is broken but you are not able to re-design it due IP issues, and you just shelled out over £2000 for a printer that won't work or fit your needs because someone else decided to build it a budget to a third of what you paid for it. Sometimes you learn more on the journey building and using a 3Dprinter than buying one off the shelf.

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
February 04, 2016 03:52PM
DaGameFace
What I have:
[www.amazon.com]

Can mount this J Head hot end to it?
[www.amazon.com]

Currently my hot end attaches to the cold end with threaded rod by that j head doesn't seem to have thread at the top.

You are going to need to design a part to be able to fit the J-hot end and mount it upon your printer axis.
Also ensure that the fan gets an "always on" 12V supply
There are J-hot end mount plates available; As that hot end is held in place at the collar near the top.
The hole in the top is where the filament will be fed in from a external extruder stepper motor not one that's built in like the one you have.
This will mount your extruder motor [reprap.org]
Something like a Prusa Mendel x-carriage will be suitable to mount it on
Comparison of hot-ends [reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 03:55PM by orictosh.

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
February 04, 2016 05:05PM
orictosh
That's Harsh!! Saying that "RepRap Printers are cheap and normally bodged together" It's what started the whole 3d printing thing off. What printer do you use
Makerfarm i3 for what its worth.
I just dont like people tossing their money away on things that have known problems. It seems like its just about one guy a week complaining about jams and issues with the clone hot ends.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login