Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New RAMPS - now xyz motors don't work.

Posted by PixelPusher 
New RAMPS - now xyz motors don't work.
February 03, 2016 04:06PM
Hi,
I replaced my RAMPS board with a brand new one (saw a little melting, overheating on a wire connection).
Uploaded same firmware and connected via Repetier. X&Y motors make a grinding sound and barely moves... Z axis is the same but also includes a wining sound, like an alarm.

Obviously something is very wrong... machine was running just fine (6 months no problems), before I switched RAMPS boards. Double checked my connections, everything is the same. Anyone have any ideas? Perhaps a bum RAMPS board?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Richi

Prusa i3
Atmega 2560
ATX PSU (from old computer)
Re: New RAMPS - now xyz motors don't work.
February 03, 2016 04:36PM
I assume you used the same motor drivers?
February 03, 2016 04:41PM
I don't remember installing motor drivers... isn't that all part of the firmware?
It's all the same hardware if that's what you mean.
February 04, 2016 11:07AM
The motor drivers are on a small pc board and you plug them into the RAMPS, they usually have a small heat sink on them.

If you didn't install any, they must have already been there and you need to adjust the stepper current.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 11:08AM by stephenrc.
February 04, 2016 11:50AM
sorry, didn't realize i made two posts of the same thing. I solved the problem with the help of a couple people on this forum.
I put jumpers in place to make my steppers 1/16th, then adjusted firmware and now it's running great.

I had no idea about jumpers underneath the stepper drivers.

Thanks again for your help,
Richi
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login