Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Converting bare wire leads to a plug

Posted by ebola0 
Converting bare wire leads to a plug
January 28, 2016 12:14PM
I have a reprap Huxley that came into my possession with just bare wiring leads. I'm replacing the melzi mainboard with a duet board that has plugs (like you'd slide a jumper onto (but it looks like 4 pins next to each other). The best comparison i can make is that the plug looks like the 4pin header on a motherboard for the speaker.

How do i change the wiring over?

[www.replikeo.com] is the board I'm going to be installing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2016 12:32PM by ebola0.
Re: Converting bare wire leads to a plug
January 28, 2016 05:24PM
I assume you mean the white connectors for the motors, homing switches, hot end heater, and hot end thermistor. They are Molex KK or compatible connectors. The mating shells are Molex 22-01-2025 (2 way), 22-01-2035 (3 way) and 22-01-2045 (4 way). The crimp pins to fit them are 08-50-0032. A suitable crimp tool is HT225D. These are all readily available on eBay and from the usual component distributors.

The hot end heater connector is 4-way, allowing you to double up the wires running to the hot end, for greater current-carrying capacity.

HTH David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 29, 2016 12:56PM
Yes, those are exactly the connectors I'm talking about. Is there a section on the wiki about how to crimp the wires into the molex connectors?

I found this kit on Amazon that has 2-way, 3-way, and 4-way plugs in it along with pins. Would this work?

[www.amazon.com]

and this crimping tool says it's for 3-way and 4-way, would it work for 2-way as well?

[www.amazon.com]

If not could someone point me in the direction of a page that has what I'm looking for? A kit w
January 29, 2016 01:20PM
Every contact needs to be crimped for itself. Afterwards they are pushed into the housing by hand. The tool will work for any number of contacts.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 29, 2016 01:31PM
The crimping tool is fine, it's the one I mentioned. The connector kit would work, but it is not ideal because those are Dupont-style shells which lack the key that polarises and locks the connector to prevent it working loose. Try searching on ebay.com for the Molex part numbers of the shells I gave in my previous reply, and you get lots of hits.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 29, 2016 02:51PM
If you're better at soldering and using heat shrink than the crimper (like I am) then buy a whole bunch of cheap plugs with wires attached from China and solder/heat shrink the wires you want to connect. It's quick and simple and they're made on a machine and we'll crimped.

I got a complete wiring set for an i3 delivered for £7. It's probably better than crimping them yourself unless you are good at crimping. Plus you can cut off the wire the length you want it's often useful to extend some cables to the right length.

I've got a crimper and can crimp okay but my soldered and heatshrinked joints are rock solid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 02:52PM by DjDemonD.
February 01, 2016 02:00PM
I think the crimper dc42 posted is the same one I was using for my servo and quadcopter projects. Originally tried just using pliers / solder and had all sorts of issues. After buying the crimpers everything is working so much better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login