Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble printing first layer

Posted by HereIgoAgain 
Trouble printing first layer
January 27, 2016 07:57PM
I'm having trouble laying down my first layer of filament. The second and subsequent layers seems to work fine but the first layer is always sporadic and uneven. Please see pictures and comment
Attachments:
open | download - 20160127_141220.jpg (138.4 KB)
open | download - 20160127_141509.jpg (212.8 KB)
Re: Trouble printing first layer
January 27, 2016 09:38PM
hmmm... not sure what kind of material that is, but are you setting zero too close (below) the bed surface? Seems like the nozzle isn't able to flow material until pressure builds and then things spurt out in globs until the pressure drops and the nozzle stops flowing again...

Don
January 27, 2016 10:14PM
i had something similar to that

when i listened closely i could hear my stepper motor for the extruder skipping steps, i increased nozzle temp a bit, adjusted the stepper's driver to feed it more voltage and put less tension on the filament idler pulley

in your case i think its voltage, seeing as how the other layers print fine but on the first layer its trying to go double normal speed and just not having the guts to do it

give it more voltage by doing this [www.damencnc.com]
January 27, 2016 10:16PM
dtwrv6
setting zero too close (below) the bed surface?
also, if anything i think he may not have the nozzle close enough to the print surface the circle doesn't look like a circle nor the rectangle a rectangle, don't think the filament is sticking properly when it does come out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2016 10:18PM by DaGameFace.
February 03, 2016 12:59PM
Thanks for the comments. I made a number of changes and these seem to be working. I readjusted the pot for the motor, reset the z axis, and cleaned up the printer head. Not sure which helped but it running better. Now if only I could control the warp....

thanks again
February 03, 2016 02:32PM
For that you need a heated chamber. Buts it's not hard to do.
February 04, 2016 06:21AM
HereIgoAgain
Thanks for the comments. I made a number of changes and these seem to be working. I readjusted the pot for the motor, reset the z axis, and cleaned up the printer head. Not sure which helped but it running better. Now if only I could control the warp....

thanks again

ABS tends to warp more than PLA, keeping the air temperatures consistent around the printer will help ABS
To help prevent warp
Ensure that the bed is level? Does it warp in the same location each time?
I print with PLA upon a PVA glue layer on the heated bed (set at 60c) and overtime some edges lift, so I just wash off the glue and re-apply it
I found that with one type of PLA filament I'm using increasing the bed temp to 65c helped it stick.
When trying to workout the cause of something, change only one thing at a time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 06:23AM by orictosh.

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login