Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pause print macro in Pronterface

Posted by hennenzac 
Pause print macro in Pronterface
January 25, 2016 01:31PM
Hello,

I am trying to print with multiple colors with a single extruder using the pause method. There are lots of examples and ways to doing it all over the internet and forums. My biggest hangup I don't like on most of them are that it pauses then waits for a button press on the lcd. This does not allow me to control the printer from pronterface which I want so I can prime the extruder with the new color.

When I press pause in pronterface, it just stops printing, I can manually move it anywhere, click resume and it starts back up in the right spot. I like this scenario and would like to do this more precisely in gcode.

My question is: What does pronterface send to my printer when i click the pause button? I would like to add this to my gcode (along with my other commands) to change the filament. I'm not sure if it's just a simple command or a macro. All the pause, sleep, wait gcode commands I tried do not act the same as when I press pause in pronterface so it may be more complicated.

Thanks.

Printer: Makerfarm Prusa I3 6"
Nozzle: 0.5mm Jhead
Filament: 3mm
3D CAD: Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express
Slicer: Cura
Printer Interface: Pronterface
VDX
Re: Pause print macro in Pronterface
January 25, 2016 02:28PM
... activate "Debug Communication" to see, what is transferred ... but it seems, the pause funktion is Pronterface internal, so no extra printer communication.

But you can add "user buttons" with extra G-codes to handle separate tasks while pausing ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 25, 2016 06:35PM
Yea, that's what had as an alternative was to make the buttons to retract, and move the head after I clicked pause. I'm just worried about the ooze/bump in the print when I take the half second to move across my pc screen to click the move button. I know i could stop it during the infill so it's not as noticeable. And again with the precision of when to change filament. For me adding gcode is more straight forward if i could get it to pause properly, while manual pause is such a guess on the height and where it will pause since it needs to clear the buffer. I'll just have to play around some more, but any other advice is welcome smiling smiley
January 26, 2016 03:31AM
If you upgrade to RepRapFirmware and compatible electronics, then you can define a gcode macro file that is executed when you press the Pause button or when a pause command is encountered in the gcode. Likewise you define a macro file to execute when you press the Resume button. You can also define macros to simplify the priming procedure.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 26, 2016 09:54AM
I am using RAMPS 1.4 with Marlin 1.0.2 firmware. I don't know much about RepRapFirmware but I just upgraded my Marlin to the latest for the bed leveling features. If anyone out there changes filament with pause using pronterface, I wouldn't mind reading what your procedure is, just to get some examples. Maybe I'm making it more complicated than it has to be.
February 02, 2016 12:15AM
I have got my color change procedure down. I use the pause button on Pronterface, then click X10 left a couple times, switch the filament, force it through the nozzle by hand, clean the tip, and press resume. I really thought that was going to be more complex and harder to time, but knowing the buffer it 10 commands it makes it easy when the perimeters are 9 commands.

One the thing to note if anyone does this is to use the command M84 which disables the motor timeout. This will make the motors have power all the time so the head won't move when you are changing the filament. Just keep in mind if you let a print go overnight, you might want to enable it again, otherwise your motors will be powered for hours when the print is done. Whether it hurts them or not, IDK. But it's unnecessary wear.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login