Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PEI-coated-aluminium-printbed a.k.a. "the german Dauerdruckplatte"

Posted by Skimmy 
Re: PEI-coated-aluminium-printbed a.k.a. "the german Dauerdruckplatte"
December 17, 2015 12:46AM
Dichlorlmethane

DCM's volatility and ability to dissolve a wide range of organic compounds makes it a useful solvent for many chemical processes.[10]

It is widely used as a paint stripper and a degreaser.[13] In the food industry, it has been used to decaffeinate coffee and tea as well as to prepare extracts of hops and other flavorings.[14] Its volatility has led to its use as an aerosol spray propellant and as a blowing agent for polyurethane foams.

Specialized uses

The chemical compound's low boiling point allows the chemical to function in a heat engine that can extract mechanical energy from small temperature differences. An example of a DCM heat engine is the drinking bird. The toy works at room temperature.

DCM chemically welds certain plastics. For example, it is used to seal the casing of electric meters. Often sold as a main component of plastic welding adhesives, it is also used extensively by model building hobbyists for joining plastic components together. It is commonly referred to as "Di-clo."

Also indicate that it is an acute inhalation hazzard, possible carcinogen. Yeah, dangerous.
It would be good to know what particular PEI formulation is preferred.
December 17, 2015 01:19AM
Skimmy
The coating I am talking about is so thin, that you can not see it.

It sounds like the Emporer's clothing smiling smiley
December 17, 2015 04:38AM
Many things that occur at an interface rely on very thin layers- often only a single molecule thick. Adhesives such as wood glues need a porous surface, preferably on both parts, for the glue to form a structure interlocking both bits. This may be good for adhesion, but it is not good for release.

Mike
December 17, 2015 06:23AM
etfrench
Skimmy
The coating I am talking about is so thin, that you can not see it.

It sounds like the Emporer's clothing smiling smiley

Actually, at one of my printbeds you can see it, if you really want to:

On the other ones, it's invisible. In the pics it looks like kind of dirty, but it is only barely seeable via reflection.

PLA sticks at around 40°C to 60°C, ABS around 90°C to 110°C, PETG sticks at 80°C. And with "sticking" i mean: You can't get it off by hand, no matter what. After cooling down, the printed parts are 100% loose with absolutely no adhesion.

Der 3D-Druck ist tot, lang lebe der 3D-Druck!

Schreibt mich nicht mehr an, ich hab das drucken an den Nagel gehängt.
December 18, 2015 02:43AM
In the US we do like to do it ourselves.
I've been looking at how to get a porous surface on he aluminum for a good bond between PEI and aluminum without anodizing.
One Possible way may be by etching with sodium hydroxide, similar to this.
It looks like it may be doable. I'd like to know if PEI will bond to etched glass. Too many things on my plate to take this up now tho.
December 18, 2015 04:31AM
Anodized aluminium sheet is usually in a harder state of temper than un-anodized sheet. This is because the assumption is made that the anodised sheet will not be bent - it is likely also to have been stress relieved after the tempering operation so it should remain flatter.
DIY anodizing is not very difficult. Straight after anodizing the aluminium oxide layer is very porous and the pores are closed up by putting it in boiling water. If you want to put something like PEI on aluminium. I think that this is the stage at which it should be done - immediately before closing the pores.

Mike
February 03, 2016 04:47AM
Hello,

I just ordered a plate of aluminium coated with PEI and I'm having a question ... how does the coating behave relatively with the hotend ?
If the hotend touch the plate, will it damage the plate ?

I am planning to use the hotend in order to "touch" the plate to detect the Z level ....will that damage the plate ?
What about PEi conductivity ?

best regards
February 03, 2016 08:06AM
PEI can be scratched. The hotend nozzle should never really touch the printsurface when moving. I doubt though that a small touch for z leveling will do any damage.
PEI is nonconductive.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
February 03, 2016 10:29AM
The PEI suppliers I have seen quote a maximum working temperature of 200C. So it's probably not a good idea to probe when the nozzle is heated to ABS printing temperatures.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 03, 2016 10:34AM
Thank you for your answers smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login