Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is a dual support Z on the diagonal corners of bed a bad idea?

Posted by realthor 
Is a dual support Z on the diagonal corners of bed a bad idea?
November 18, 2015 11:42AM
Hi,

I can see more and more dual-rod supported beds that use 2 faces of the frame box, most likely the lateral ones. But there is a busy space as the Y linear rods/carriages endstop/etc would limit the available Z height that can be fitted under them. On the other hand, having dual rod supported Z by moving one rod from the back to front would limit the access to the print, another no go.

I am thinking why not placing the smooth rods for the Z on the opposing corners of the box. One can easily re-print the corner brackets with the necessary configuration as to accept the smooth rod. I have a feeling of unstable bed due to the fact that the other diagonal is somewhat cantilevered but I don't think this is so much trouble with the specific application of 3D printing. Morevover the corner brackets can be made sturdy enough to compensate for the tilting forces.

I haven't found any such design yet so I quickly sketched it to exemplify:

What do you think?

RepRap Lander concept on Concept Forge
RepRap Lander concept on RepRap Forums
My Things, mostly experimental stuff
Re: Is a dual support Z on the diagonal corners of bed a bad idea?
November 18, 2015 03:24PM
I think it would be OK depending on how you are going to level the bed. If there's any error in one of the Z screw positions it will cause both pitch and roll errors in the bed. If it were arranged so both screws were along either the X or Y axis, error from the screw position would cause only pitch or roll error, but not both. It's a little easier to deal with a single error.

I hope you'll be belt driving the two screws with a single motor...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 18, 2015 08:43PM
I have been considering such a design myself.
November 19, 2015 02:48AM
the_digital_dentist
If there's any error in one of the Z screw positions it will cause both pitch and roll errors in the bed. If it were arranged so both screws were along either the X or Y axis, error from the screw position would cause only pitch or roll error, but not both. It's a little easier to deal with a single error.

This is a very good observation thanks you. Actually I think I'm going to go the belt route for start because I believe it will be quite difficult to perfectly setup the coupler-to-screw connection to be identical on both sides and second two screws is budget overkill for this particular printer. If belt doesn't fulfill the task I will consider screws.

DRobs86
I have been considering such a design myself.
Any work done on this so I might benefit from your experience?

I am actually thinking even further to have two corners sliding on smooth rod and the other two corners actuated by two screws or belt so that all corners are constrained.

November 19, 2015 06:54AM
You definitely don't want 4 corners constrained. Anything minor misalignment will cause the whole thing to bind.

I saw some photos of a machine that had three screws lifting the bed somewhere. They did without guide rails completely and relied on the screws to both lift and laterally constrain the bed motion. I don't know how well/if that worked.

November 19, 2015 07:02AM
I've seen a german printer with 3 leadscrews actuated by a single motor/belt, but that is overkill for home use.

I was thinking at some point about using 3 mansonry SDS drill bits, I have seen one about 40cm long (~30cm usable helix) for 8Eur, they might be even cheaper in other places. The speed would be greater, the resolution will not be as high as with a leadscrew (which I think is too high for 3D printers scope) and they are strong enough to completely avoid linear rods.

But I am also a fan of RichRap's spectra-based Z lift (albeit he uses a 5:1 reduction gearbox with his Z motor). It supports the Z on two sides. As a minus, the bang that goes with a power failure.

November 19, 2015 07:43AM
realthor
I've seen a german printer with 3 leadscrews actuated by a single motor/belt, but that is overkill for home use.

What???. What makes it "overkill", and what does "home use" have to do with anything? Driving multiple screws with a belt is the only way to ensure that they remain in sync. If they get out of sync for any reason the bed tilts. Is maintaining a level bed something that home users wouldn't want or shouldn't expect?

The crappy kit makers have got people accepting the terrible state of the $300 art as "normal" the same way people used to think that rebooting Windows every hour or so to keep their computers working was "normal".

And now you want to use drill bits to replace lead screws? C'mon, you're just joking, right?

November 19, 2015 10:31AM
For the state where the technology is and for the price that comes with two screws and the setup needed to ensure the squareness and the rigidity of the frame yes, I think is overkill. I am not selling anything so for you it might be different. I do a lot of experimentation and don't necessarily need the printer just to fill my life with more plastic junk. I'd keep it to solve issues when something breaks and needs replacement or when I want to have the feel of the prototype I am working on.

Please don't assume that everybody uses the printers as you do nor that everybody is going to build a 2000+ moneys machine like you did.

Next, there are ups and downs with $300 kits. One up is that because people want a $300 printer if forces all manufacturers to aim for this price. Then crappy kits are forcing people to learn and seek for solutions and think out of the box and the failures keep the reprap comunity alive. I might be an ignorant here but i see drill bits just a longer helix version of leadscrews. They are as though and they are made with industrial machines so they are quite precise. Even if their scope doesn't need much precision, the industrial grade machines that make them need to be very precise and sturdy and all that to keep spiting out drill bits at decent quality. You don't have nuts for those though and that might be a bummer.

Next: NO, for experimental stuff I am not joking, I am actually very curious what can be achieved with a drill bit. First Morgan used it. Moreover I have many friends back in my home country who are swearing the leadscrew being over threaded rod is an exageration. They just ran the rods through the tap again to have the burrs and what not cleared up and use very tough plastic commercial nuts. Some have ballscrews and yes for those they are seeing a huge difference.

Everybody can have their own view there is no need to impose your views on others.

November 19, 2015 12:14PM
the_digital_dentist
Driving multiple screws with a belt is the only way to ensure that they remain in sync. If they get out of sync for any reason the bed tilts.

The problem with driving them independently is that when you power the machine off and on again, each motor jumps to the nearest full step. A motor that is half way between steps may jump in either direction, which causes sync to be lost Keeping motors in sync once the machine is powered up is not a problem - if it were then delta printers would not work.

You could drive the Z leadscrews independently if you have a mechanism to do auto bed levelling when you power the printer on - and I really do mean auto bed levelling, not bed compensation. This could be done quite easily using a Z probe. I just had a visit from an Igus salesman, and one of the things that Igus makes is a ball and socket joint threaded for a leadscrew - which would be ideal for joining the bed to the leadscrews.

The main disadvantage with this idea is that it needs 3 independently driven Z motors, so you need electronics with 6 drivers to support it in a single-extruder printer. So a Duet 0.8.5 or Smoothieboard 5XC couldn't do it, but a RADDS could.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 19, 2015 02:39PM
I'd be concerned that the pitch of a drill bit would require quite a lot of torque to lift the bed unless it is very light. Also there will be quite a lot of friction and the sharp edges of the drill bit will grind into whatever it is they are engaged with. Whilst a lead screw is £15 this seems reasonable to get decent z precision even if you do need 3.
November 19, 2015 03:08PM
dc42
You could drive the Z leadscrews independently if you have a mechanism to do auto bed levelling when you power the printer on - and I really do mean auto bed levelling, not bed compensation. This could be done quite easily using a Z probe. I just had a visit from an Igus salesman, and one of the things that Igus makes is a ball and socket joint threaded for a leadscrew - which would be ideal for joining the bed to the leadscrews.

The main disadvantage with this idea is that it needs 3 independently driven Z motors, so you need electronics with 6 drivers to support it in a single-extruder printer. So a Duet 0.8.5 or Smoothieboard 5XC couldn't do it, but a RADDS could.

I think you have a chicken and egg problem.

If you use 3 motors, you will have to have autoleveling because its the only way to ensure they start out synchronized. Note it only works when you start the print up and it can't help you if something binds a little and one of the motors misses a few steps. In that case the bed tilts and your print is done. If the three screws are driven by a single motor and a belt, once you level it, it will stay that way and you won't need autoleveling. If something binds one of the screws a little during a print, either the whole layer will change thickness and printing will continue, or the whole thing will bind and the bed will stop, but it won't tilt, ever. Using a single motor with a slight surplus of torque will eliminate almost any problem with binding unless you're really sloppy in the assembly of the machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 03:09PM by the_digital_dentist.

November 19, 2015 03:26PM
I am not against leadscrews by all means. They are the norm with respectable 3D printers.

Regarding torque I agree, the drill bit has a very long helix (large pitch) that would require higher torque per motor step compared to the lead screw. I can't say numbers this would have to be tried or if anyone knows how to estimate that (divide the pitches maybe -the pitch of a masonry bit is 10mm or more, while the leadscrew pitch is 1.5 or 2mm I guess).
Also the sharp edges do not exist on a masonry drill bit. On the contrary they are as smooth as the leadscrew edges. The finish is the only one that has me concerned and the lack of a corresponding nut, so a delrin or PFTE or Nylon one must be DIY-ed.

Anyways, this thread is not about leadscrews vs threaded rod vs drill bits, the discussion got sidetracked smiling smiley. This is about placing the bed at corners instead of front-back. Actually there is no actuation means in the sketch I provided. I was in fact going for a belt system similar to the one created by the (now famous) AndreasL . It seems that his design is discussed all over these forums.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Now this discussion is not about his design either, but about the corner arrangement and how (if) it can be designed to avoid tilt/etc.

My CoreXY concept currently looks like this:

The green is the usable printing area. I have a concern with the increased distance between the sliding corner brackets. The further they are apart the more unstable this assembly gets.
I will choose a lifting mechanism after I decide if this design is feasible.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 07:07PM by realthor.

November 20, 2015 01:31AM
I went down the track of using only one lead screw at the rear with a cantilever bed using 4 linear bearings running on 2 x 8mm shafts.
What I found I that using a cantilever bed that it would flex a small amount which I didn't like. This is partly down to the weight of using a 4mm heat treated glass plate
I tried upgrading to using only 2 x 12mm linear bearings and 2 x 12mm shafts but found that linear bearings don't run freely if there is too much weight which is offset, this usually happens with a cantilever design.

This lead me to add two lead screws to the front driven with one stepper motor.
The big issue with 3 lead screws is getting everything to align and not have any binding with movement of the z platform.

I got around this with using aluminium brackets that can flex horizontally but not vertically, basically the front two lead screws only have to provide upwards support as the linear bearing at the rear provide good sideways support.
Having two lead screws at the front still allows good access for removing parts

I added another Z min sensor ( Z2min) for the second stepper motor which drives the two front lead screws. I managed to modify Marlin to enable auto syncing of the two Z stepper motors when homing them.
Also use one Z max sensor for lowering the Z platform when print has finished. The Z platform rests on stops when in the lowest position.

I now like that the Z platform (heat Bed) is firm on all outside edges.

If designing again I would go for 3 lead screws support for the Z platform even if it means so added costs.
Attachments:
open | download - CoreXY-1.JPG (340 KB)
open | download - CoreXY-2.JPG (332.6 KB)
open | download - CoreXY-3.JPG (292.6 KB)
open | download - CoreXY-4.JPG (333.2 KB)
open | download - CoreXY-5.JPG (336.3 KB)
open | download - CoreXY-6.JPG (316.8 KB)
open | download - CoreXY-7.JPG (331.3 KB)
open | download - CoreXY-8.JPG (320.4 KB)
November 20, 2015 06:06AM
RepRot: Did you ever try running the machine without the Z axis guide rails? I wonder if the lead screws alone would be precise enough to provide both lift and guidance/control of the lateral motion of the bed. Can you post a close-up of one of your prints so I can see the alignment of the layers? Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 06:08AM by the_digital_dentist.

November 20, 2015 06:35AM
That is a beefy little monster. I enjoyed seeing the squirrelcage blower aluminum mount that is cut to be the same shape as the blower.

I wonder why did you choose two motors instead of retrofitting the first motor to drive all 3 leadscrews with one belt (maybe like this)

November 20, 2015 05:28PM
I choose two motors for a couple of reasons,
- Driving more lead screws requires more motor power which could mean using a bigger motor.
- Driving more lead screws you end up placing more load on to the drive belt and a greater chance of the belt jumping teeth, you will generally end up having the belt tighter and that means more load on the drive motor. Other option is using bigger pulleys and drive belts and motors.
- Also the other option of using too many Z lead screw stepper motors you end up with issues of getting them all aligned and keeping them that way when homing.

- My rear stepper motor is positioned at the top with the lead screw hanging down. A lot of stepper motors rotors can be spring loaded and if positioned with the output shaft in an upward direction, the lead screw can move down a bit depending on the weight on the Z platform.
I used a universal joint to connect the stepper motor shaft to the lead screw, this gives a bit of tolerant with alignment and it won't spring apart as many of the metal flexible coupling do (load is trying to pull coupling apart). You just have to have the lead screw/motor well aligned at the top.

I haven't tried using it without the Z axis guides, can't see it being very rigid with having a hanging lead screw at the rear.

- I have a small drill mill that I use with slot drills and also a small mini lathe for cutting the aluminium. Some of the aluminium bits I did a DIY anodising which is quite easy.
The squirrel cage bracket was mostly hand cut and filed.

- Couple of pictures of a part I have just printed to go on my boat, a bracket collar for an electric outboard that I use when jig fishing for trout.
I am using a 0.3mm extruder noozle.

- Also picture of something I am working on -an assembly that will monitor that the filament is moving or runs out.
The assembly will generate pulses when the filament is moving, Need to modify Marlin to output a dual extruder stepper pulse to another I/O pin.
I will then will have an Arduino Leonardo Mini pro processor to monitor the extruder step pulses and filament pulses, if there is no pulses when having extruder stepper pulses it will then activate the filament-out I/O line which will halt the printer.
The filament out function is already in Marlin when printing from SD card. Need to check out how it works when printing from PC.

Cheers

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 06:52PM by RepRot.
Attachments:
open | download - 000_2801.JPG (329.3 KB)
open | download - 000_2803.JPG (152.8 KB)
open | download - 000_2806.JPG (199 KB)
open | download - 000_2795.JPG (344.7 KB)
open | download - 000_2796.JPG (342.5 KB)
November 26, 2015 06:48PM
Returning to the topic of this thread.. have you ever seen one such attempt to put opposing rods at corners? I have searched all over the web and not finding one raises a few questions:

- is it useless?
- not practical?
- too new -we barely see this done with leadscrew(s) on the center of the printer's sides-?

If there are two bearings on each smooth rod, is tilt still a threat? If the tolerances in the bearings allow for an even small tilt then the plane rotation will be exaggerated at the free-floating corners to an unusable situation. Would using bushings prevent any tolerance-originated errors from screwing up the bed level?

November 27, 2015 07:06AM
Hi guys,

Two guides on the same plan is relatively easy.
Two guides on two parallel plans is more difficult to manage.

Mecanicaly speaking, it's still two guides wherever they are. Guidance cannot be better.
I'm not skilled enough to argue deeply about that configuration in general,
but on simpler systems all is usualy about the 1X 2X rule.

Distance of the force applied should not be above 2 times the bearings distance.
If you've got a diagonal distance of 300mm between rails, you should have at last 150mm between the two bearings on your guide.
But, what if the force (vibrations) is applied at the unguided corners ? This should increase drasticaly the distance.
If a plate is guided on oposite/diagonal sides, you create a virtualy a pivot point and maximise overhang on the perpendicular diagonal ends.
You probably need to install longer supports for these far corners.

On a single plan system (two guides on one side), You don't need to put the guides on the corners
To guide a 200mm plate, you can install the guides at 120 mm distance only.
Because most of the time, to deal with forces/vibrations on the overangs the two guides are working in push-pull.
The closer one on push and the distant one on pull. If your support on the oposite parallel edge is stiff enough,
you get a very stable system from one single plan. And it's the simplest to build.

On repraps we often have 1X 4X (or more), because we want compact parts,
so there's a temptation to get a more stable system guiding by two sides.
Because it reduced the overhang at 0 on the face to face line.
But at the same time you still have to deal with overhangs on the unsuported sides.
You just displace the triangle rule. And the bearings won't work in push-pull anymore.
You still need support at last 1X 2X from each guide to the edges.
Otherhand, as your guide is perpendicular to the centre of your plate you divide overhang by two but in both sides.
That's still a good point I gess. For a 200mm square plate you only need to distance your bearing of 50mm,
that's not bad if you want to get a compact system, or maximize the stroke along your gide.

Guiding from oposite sides is not a bad idea, even if it's more difficult to set-up perfeclty parallel plans.
But guiding for oposite corners increase the 2X distance, so you will need to increase your 1X distance too
and also use longer supports to hold the overangs.
If you install your corner guides on two parallel plans it's pretty the same for setup, but with a longer distance.
Precision upon longer distance is always an issue.

Thinking about it, to me guiding from 2 oposite sides is better. You don't want to install your guides on corners.

++JM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2015 07:07AM by J-Max.
November 27, 2015 08:57AM
We are talking 2 kind of forces that act on a bed:
1) the weight of the printed part
2) the forces resulted from moving the bed, due to inertia

Forces 2) do not influence the print, as there is no printing during the Z lifts (at least not yet, not with the current firmwares, but that is something that is pioneered in wall construction, interesting for a side note).

Forces 1) what weights are talking about? hundreds of grams? Compare that with a heated bed. Is it really that serious of a problem? Printed models can be symmetrically positioned on the bed as to avoid any 30 grams of the printed component to tilt the bed on the supported corners axis.

I am thinking that a 2-corners bed lift would later on allow for a 3rd corner addition, which would make it a 3 points plane. I don't think assymetrical 3 points plane is any less effective as a symmetrical 3 points plane.

What are "F" forces in your drawing that would be so great as to affect a diagonal supported bed?

Because I don't even see it as a problem with cantilevered beds. There is no real Force there originated in the print's weight but with cantilevered beds the own bed weight is a problem and the flapping and vibrations that are amplified at fast infills towards the margins of the bed. With two sides supported the shaking of the bed is not amplified towards the supported ends but it is absorbed. The only shaking/flapping effect is limited to the unsupported corners/sides.

I see the situation like this:

The best option is of course 3 rods or even four rods, 2 an 2 on opposite sides.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2015 09:08AM by realthor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login