Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Java/Arduino problems - Can't save changes

Posted by kurtis 
Java/Arduino problems - Can't save changes
August 25, 2010 01:01PM
I'm finally ready to try my first print, but ran into some problems I've never seen. I was working on a computer with Windows XP and everything was fine and dandy, until the power supply fried and I no longer have access to that computer or drives. So, now I've tried using Windows 7 and Vista, but have been getting the following problems:

Lately whenever I try to modify any files, such as rename a file/folder name after opening RepRap Host, it says the file is being used by a program, but I don't have anything open. I have to log out, then log back in again in order to make changes. I've been working with RepRap for about 2 months now, and never had that problem. This, however, is not the main problem...

When I edit the firmware in Arduino and try to save the changes, I get the following error:
java.io.IOException: Access is denied
	at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
	at java.io.File.checkAndCreate(File.java:1704)
	at java.io.File.createTempFile(File.java:1792)
	at processing.app.Base.saveFile(Base.java:1997)
	at processing.app.SketchCode.save(SketchCode.java:274)
	at processing.app.Sketch.save(Sketch.java:710)
	at processing.app.Editor.handleSave2(Editor.java:2129)
	at processing.app.Editor$45.run(Editor.java:2117)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

I have no Java experience, so I'm stumped. I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere either. I've never had this problem in the past, so I'm not sure what's different. This happens on both Windows 7 and Vista.

Another problem:

I have been having trouble running the latest RepRap software on both Vista and Windows 7. I am able to start the Host software, but I get the following continuous error messages in the terminal window and nothing works:

ERROR: GCodeWriter.waitForResponse() - dud response from RepRapconfused smileyerial Error: Li
neNr is not the last lineNr+1 [0.000s/-1282755192125ms]
ERROR: GCodeWriter.waitForResponse() - dud response from RepRap:Resend:73 [0.011
s/11ms]
ERROR: GCodeWriter.waitForResponse() - dud response from RepRapconfused smileyerial Error: Li
neNr is not the last lineNr+1 [0.046s/35ms]
ERROR: GCodeWriter.waitForResponse() - dud response from RepRap:Resend:73 [0.056
s/10ms]
neNr is not the last lineNr+1 [0.094s/38ms]
ERROR: GCodeWriter.waitForResponse() - dud response from RepRap:Resend:73 [0.104
s/10ms]
ERROR: GCodeReaderAndWriter.getETemp() - no value stored! [0.112s/8ms]
neNr is not the last lineNr+1 [0.142s/30ms]
ERROR: GCodeWriter.waitForResponse() - dud response from RepRap:Resend:73 [0.154
s/12ms]
ERROR: GCodeReaderAndWriter.getBTemp() - no value stored! [0.163s/9ms]
neNr is not the last lineNr+1 [1.674s/1511ms]
ERROR: GCodeWriter.waitForResponse() - dud response from RepRap:Resend:73 [1.685
s/11ms]
ERROR: GCodeReaderAndWriter.getETemp() - no value stored! [1.700s/15ms]

etc...

Using an older version of the software (May 15, 2010) works fine (aside from the Java problems).

I'm so close to finally getting a part printed, but as always its two steps forward, one step back...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 01:03PM by kurtis.
Re: Java/Arduino problems - Can't save changes
August 31, 2010 09:09PM
Hi Kurtis,

I think you problem could fall into 1 of 2 categories:
1. File Permissions, setup through security
2. File Locks, programs locking the control of a file.

I like to use [technet.microsoft.com] process monitor to test these types of things, you can filter by the file and find out what's holding it.

you can also set the permissions on the whole folder and folders it's trying to write to something ridiculously wide open like enabling guest and granting full privileges to all users including guest. I know that's not a recommend long term solution but it's at least a troubleshooting step.

also make sure the user you are logged in is is a local admin on the machine.

I hope that helps. I chose to use Ubuntu for my repstrap/reprap stuff, so far so good.
Re: Java/Arduino problems - Can't save changes
September 15, 2010 08:43PM
I am getting the error as well trying to preform the motherboard test. I am running ubuntu 10.04 java6, reprap host software version 20100806. I am able to do some movement testing the stepper motors but after the completion of the move my host software crashes with a ringGet error.

I am going to try a previous host version as you suggested. Have you found a solution for your java errors?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login