Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GCodePrintr App

Posted by simspeed 
GCodePrintr App
October 02, 2015 11:07PM
I've read the history of GCode Simulator app posts here on RepRap . The last one was some time ago, so I'm asking today is anyone here using this app on an Android tablet to control your printer? I downloaded the app to a quad core 8" Android tablet I have and set it up to receive gcode files from the slicer software on my home wifi networked PC. I'm hoping to be able to run the print control through my wifi network between the Android tablet and the smoothieboard controller. I want to use the tablet and GCodePrintr app as my standalone print controller instead of the limited Vicki 2 I originally bought for that purpose. Is anyone using this combination similarly? Any other configurations out there to consider? Thanks...TP

Here's the link...GCodePrintr App
Re: GCodePrintr App
October 04, 2015 04:56AM
Hi Simspeed,

I have two printers (Multec Multirap + Prusa Mendel I2) both equipped with a Android tablet to control the printer.
GCodePrintr works fine to control the 3D printer without the need to have the PC running. Just send your gcode files over wifi to the App and let the App print it.

I'm the developer of GCodePrintr, let me know if you need help or have ideas for improvements.
I did some improvements for Smoothieboard last year , so it should work fine. (if you find issues I can fix them quickly)

To get more comments from other GCodePrintr users, see the GCodePrintr Google+ Community:
[plus.google.com]

regards

Mathias
October 04, 2015 12:43PM
Hi Mathias...thanks for your response. I received your email as well and appreciate you looking into the PC version. I looked at your google group earlier, I'll join for more info and updates. I'm most interested now to find the right method to connect the tablet/app to the smoothie via my home network rather than tether a long USB cable between the two. Anyone have experience or ideas about how to do that? Thanks all....TP.
October 05, 2015 05:27PM
Hi Simspeed,

the GCodePrintr App supports multiple ways to control your 3D printer:

1) Direct Print - Android device connected via USB OTG

Connect your tablet/phone to the 3D Printer using a USB-OTG adapter. The App can be used to replace a LCD for basic printer controls (movements, extrusion,..). When you start a print the App will send gcode line by line over USB to the printer and wait for the response, this means the tablet need to be connected to USB for the whole print.
The App will show the print progress and you can change print speed or extrusion rate during print.
This is the recommended approach.

2) Direct Print - Android device connected via Bluetooth

Connect your tablet/phone via Bluetooth to the 3d printer. The printer requires a working bluetooth module (e.g. HC06) to be able to connect. The App can be used to replace a LCD for basic printer controls (movements, extrusion,..). When you start a print the App will send gcode line by line over Bluetooth to the printer and wait for the response. Due to the higher latency of Bluetooth fine detailed prints can be slowed down and stutter.
Therefore Bluetooth is only recommended for basic controls and small/rough prints.

3) SD Card Print - Android devices connected via USB or Bluetooth

Connect your tablet/phone via USB or Bluetooth to the 3D printer. Start a print from the 3d printers SD Card (your printer has SD support). GCodePrintr can list the files on the SD card and select one for printing. The App can also upload new files to the SD Card, but most 3D printers are slow.
Once you have started a print via SD card, the control is given to the 3D printer and the App has only limited
functions (compared to #1),but you can disconnect the tablet and let the printer continue. Both Bluetooth and USB work fine for SD card printing.

4) Network Print from PC and Web Control

Connect your tablet/phone to the 3D Printer using a USB-OTG adapter and to your Wifi. Enable the Network Listener and Webserver in the App options. Now you can connect to the GCodePrintr Web Control page through your Internet browser on the PC. You can also send gcode files over wifi (using GCodeSimulator for PC or netcat) to the tablet and let the tablet print it out (like #1 or #2)
Alternatively you can use Dropbox or Google Drive to share files between your PC and the App.
Note: All network connectivity is provided by the tablet/app, GCodeprintr does NOT make use of the Smoothieboard network interface.

The App works with gcode files only, the slicing step (STL to gcode) must be done on a PC (e.g. using Slic3r, Simplify3d, Cura,..)

I hope this helps

Mathias Dietz

[gcodeprintr.dietzm.de]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2015 05:57PM by mdietz.
October 05, 2015 06:02PM
Thanks for the detailed explanation Mathias. I have a question or two about the network print and web control. If smoothie has been configured for network access as described HERE, and has the ability to accept file streaming via the Telnet port from Ponterface to run console commands and g-code, can your app work similarly via a home WiFi network? If so, would that allow your app to stream the print file and control the print as it does via the USB OTG? Would that not be faster and more reliable than using Bluetooth for that function. Easily I can put the file on a SD card and start and stop the printer with your app....but I'd like to be able to use all the features your app offers and stream the print from a nice HD tablet dedicated to the printer. All wireless if possible. I ask all this because I've researched and have yet to see these questions and this application addressed. If its out there please kindly direct me and I'll study some more. Thanks greatly....TP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login